Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphoto on macbook pro doesn't see photos on iphone--how to move them off??

Hi,

I have an iphone 5S (updated to latest version of iOS) and a new macbook pro (retina), also updated. I have plugged my phone into iphoto (version 9.6) and it says all pictures are downloaded but there are over 1000 photos on my phone and 140 videos, too. How am i to bring these into iphoto if iphoto doesn't even see them???

Thanks,

A.

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.2

Posted on Mar 12, 2015 4:37 PM

12 replies

Mar 12, 2015 4:42 PM in response to dancingletters

How did you put the photos and videos on your iPhone? If they have been synced to your iPhone using iTunes, you cannot download them again using a USB connection. This works only for photos in your Camera Roll.

See this link: iOS and iPod: Syncing photos using iTunes

You can't reimport pictures synced from your computer to your device back to your computer. You can only import pictures in the Camera Roll or Saved Photos from your device to your computer. If you need to retrieve synced photos from your device:

1. Email them from the device to yourself.
  2. Copy them from the emails to your computer.

Mar 12, 2015 4:46 PM in response to dancingletters

Just want to add my question above, since i did not see a place to edit my original question:

I suppose I could go in and manually delete photos (1000 is alot!!!) but would i risk deleting them from all my devices??? I see that they show as imported into iphoto on my macbook pro. i just want to remove them from my phone to free up space.

thanks!

A

Mar 12, 2015 4:50 PM in response to léonie

Thanks, I was writing my PS and had not seen your reply. Most of these were photos taken on my iphone. they were synced via wifi to my computer, I believe. I had tried to import several times but had some corrupt videos (another mystery), so iphoto kept giving me an error message about not being import photos. but here they all are, which means that they must have synced via wifi (i recall having that setting somewhere).

What to do, to move photos off my iphone then to make space and not risk losing them?

Thanks

Mar 12, 2015 5:02 PM in response to dancingletters

i clicked on the link you provided. found the following. is this a way to remove the photos and videos from my phone while they remain on my macbook pro?

That will work for the photos you synced to your device with iTunes.

For videos and photos taken with the iPhone do the following:

• Connect again to a USB port.
  • But this time launch Image Capture and not iPhoto.
  • Select all the photos and videos in your camera roll to be deleted.
  • Then press the "delete" key.

This way, the photos you imported to iPhoto will stay in the iPhoto Library and you can select all photos for deletion.

Mar 12, 2015 6:57 PM in response to léonie

Hi again, Leonie, and thank you. Sorry to bother you again. I did launch image capture. It only shows 122 items (though I actually have 1100 photos) and none of the 122 videos are showing up in image capture either??? Also only offers option for importing as far as I can see, not for deleting. Maybe I am doing something wrong, but can't see what it is.

Thanks.

(I am eager to do this because am traveling to see a new grandchild and wants lots of room on my phone for new pics and videos. But also don't want to lose pics and videos already there. When I return and have more time will educate myself better about how all this works. In the meantime, thanks for your help!)

A

Mar 13, 2015 2:05 AM in response to dancingletters

I did launch image capture. It only shows 122 items (though I actually have 1100 photos) and none of the 122 videos are showing up in image capture either??

Then these items are not in your Camera Roll and cannot be deleted from the device.

Are your photos in iCloud? Is iCloud Photo Library (Beta) enabled? Otherwise you should be able to see the "Delete" option.

Mar 13, 2015 2:18 AM in response to léonie

It should look like this:

User uploaded file

But if you are seeing cloud icon beside the device name, you cannot delete the photos from your iPhone using your Mac. The delete button will be missing.

User uploaded file

As to the number of photos and videos you are seeing on your iPhone.

In which albums do the photos and videos appear in the Photos.app on your iPhone?

Mar 13, 2015 8:30 AM in response to léonie

Okay for now have gotten most of photos and videos off my phone. Before seeing your last note Leonie, I turned off icloud beta and then when a dialogue window opened up, i opted to remove photos from the device. It said they would remain in icloud library so I am assuming they are safe somewhere. My last question for now is how I can access them? Would I log in to icloud.com and find them that way? I haven't time to do anymore right now as I have to catch a plane, but will try to see where they are as soon as I can and also look for your reply.

I am very grateful for your sticking with this. I can see that I have much to learn about using iphoto across devices.

A.

Mar 13, 2015 1:23 PM in response to dancingletters

Before seeing your last note Leonie, I turned off icloud beta and then when a dialogue window opened up, i opted to remove photos from the device. It said they would remain in icloud library so I am assuming they are safe somewhere. My last question for now is how I can access them? Would I log in to icloud.com and find them that way?

Yes, if the photos are still in iCloud Photo Library (Beta), you will be able to access them using the Photos.app on your iCloud webpage - just open the page https://www.icloud.com/

and then click the Photos (Beta) icon.

iphoto on macbook pro doesn't see photos on iphone--how to move them off??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.