Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Macbook Pro freezing

Hello,

I've recently purchased a new 2015 13-inch Macbook pro. I've only had it for less than a week and I'm already experiencing a lot of major annoyances with the computer. A lot of apps seem to freeze randomly for no reason at all and these are Apple apps like pages and safari. I've done no major changes to the computer aside from installing a few Adobe apps. The most recent examples include a freeze of safari when I was typic a rather long post on a different forum and when I tried to upload an accompanying picture safari froze trying to bring up the finder window to choose the picture. I had to force quit it after it remained like that for well over 3 minutes. Another occurred with pages when I was doing nothing but reviewing what I had typed out to myself then I saw the cursor turn into the rainbow spinning wheel. I had to force quit, again, luckily I saved everything this time.

There have been other occurrences as well but these are the most recent that happened in the last few hours. I know this should not be happening as frequent as it is and with such a new computer but it is. Last time I used an apple was in 2008 when I bought an iMac that served me well over 5 years and I don't remember this ever happening. Is anyone else experiencing any of this or might I have gotten a faulty laptop?

Posted on Mar 12, 2015 5:41 PM

3 replies

Mar 12, 2015 6:16 PM in response to vickzy77

The warranty entitles you to complimentary phone support for the first 90 days of ownership.

If you bought the product in the U.S. directly from Apple (not from a reseller), you have 14 days from the date of delivery in which to exchange or return it for a refund. In other countries, the return policy may be different. If you bought from a reseller, its return policy applies.

Mar 20, 2015 3:11 AM in response to vickzy77

Thank you for the advice Linc Davis,

I'll be definitely returning the laptop, unfortunately. From the time of my post the random freezes have continued while doing non intensive things like internet browsing and writing. I made my decision just a few moments ago while playing around with Ableton, I had a single instrument drum rack open and the entire laptop froze, not just the app itself. I was able to record it on my phone and will be showing it to the guys at Apple when I go to return it on Saturday. This is all happening before I am even able to stress test the computer properly for all the things I intended to use it for.

It's a shame really, I don't know if it's the new OS or the hardware that might be the problem. A guy from apple who saw this thread was supposed to contact me yesterday regarding the issue which he took upon himself to email me about in the first place but never reached out again like he said he would. I know for a fact there is an issue with the OS when it uses file share with a windows computer. If you shut down your windows PC while you're still connected to it on your Mac, Finder (and any apps that were used to open windows files) will freeze for a good 5 minutes unless you manually power it off. Force quitting won't help and if you relaunch finder it will just stay frozen until you do a hard restart. I don't know what it is but I feel specially weird about having to ever force shut down a computer, a brand new Mac at that.

The computer would also make an uneasy ticking noise once in a while that came from the body. Some googling shows that quite a few other people have had this 'issue' and apparently has to do with either a loose screw (which you apparently have to open the computer and void your warranty in order to fix), something about a hard disk stopping (flash storage?) or an accelerator to detect when the computer is moving (though it would occur while I was watching a movie and it was still on my bed as well)

I can see why apple doesn't stress the 'it just works' motto anymore.

Ok, rant over. But seriously, apple, the laptop is beautiful and I was falling in love with it even with all its flaws. If anyone is planning on purchasing the new Macbook Pro, I would hold off until there are a few more Yosemite updates and to see if it is in fact the OS and nothing innately wrong with the hardware.

New Macbook Pro freezing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.