Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

8.2 update ipad randomly reboots

Since updating my iPad to the latest 8.2 update it randomly reboots.

i Thought it might have been a game, or iMessage since iMessage was very slow to respond but that doesn't seem to be it.

i Stopped playing the games that the iPad would reboot while playing and turned off iMessage.

the iPad stayed on for almost 30 minutes after that and I thought I had it solved, at least until the next update, then it started to randomly reboot again, cycling a reboot 5 or 6 times in a row until I got a kernel panic screen during a reboot sequence.

User uploaded file

This really really scared me but after a hard reboot the iPad came back to life.

is anyone else experiencing these random reboots since updating to 8.2?

if you are, or were, have you figured out a solution?

iPad 2, iOS 8.2

Posted on Mar 12, 2015 6:05 PM

4 replies

Mar 12, 2015 6:31 PM in response to Robrob8

If it has NEVER been jailbroke, here are some standard repair procedures:

First, try a system reset. It cures many ills and it's quick, easy and harmless...

Hold down the on/off switch and the Home button simultaneously until you see the Apple logo. Ignore the "Slide to power off" text if it appears. You will not lose any apps, data, music, movies, settings, etc.

If the Reset doesn't work, try a Restore. Note that it's nowhere near as quick as a Reset. It could take well over an hour! Connect via cable to the computer that you use for sync. From iTunes, select the iPad/iPod and then select the Summary tab. Follow the on-screen directions for Restore and be sure to say "yes" to the backup. You will be warned that all data (apps, music, movies, etc.) will be erased but, as the Restore finishes, you will be asked if you wish the contents of the backup to be copied to the iPad/iPod. Again, say "yes."

At the end of the basic Restore, you will be asked if you wish to sync the iPad/iPod. As before, say "yes." Note that that sync selection will disappear and the Restore will end if you do not respond within a reasonable time. If that happens, only the apps that are part of the IOS will appear on your device. Corrective action is simple - choose manual "Sync" from the bottom right of iTunes.

If you're unable to do the Restore (or it doesn't help), go into Recovery Mode per the instructions here. You WILL lose all of your data (game scores, etc,) but, for the most part, you can redownload apps and music without being charged again. Also, read this.

Mar 15, 2015 9:02 AM in response to Philly_Phan

None of that helped.

i Have turned off iMessage and limited other apps as much as I can.

The random reboots continue with sometimes several reboots in a row.

sometimes the screen gets lines across it before it crashes and reboots.

Hard resets doesn't make a difference from soft restarts.

Again, this issue started with the update to iOS 8.2, the iPad was trouble free before.

4th generation retina iPad.

Occasionally even the apple logo has lines through it During a reboot, at which time it will reboot several times before starting.

User uploaded file

Mar 26, 2015 12:11 PM in response to Robrob8

My iPad air 32GB WiFi has been very stable until iOS 8.2. Like you, it suddenly shut down and rebooted but the difference was mine got stuck at the apple logo. The display also showed a blue screen and the apple logo had lines through it at some point. Did the usual reset and restore and thought I had cured it but the following day whilst viewing a webpage it shut down again. It took some time to reboot successfully. During the process of bringing it back to life, I could not force it into restore mode and my Mac did not see the iPad at all. Just as I was about to give up after about 30 mins, the final attempt seemed to do the trick and it booted ok. I'm not sure what is causing the issue as I have auto updates on apps but it seems strange that problems have arisen with the update to iOS 8.2!

Mar 26, 2015 5:25 PM in response to TimPhoto

Hi TimPhoto,

Thanks for responding.

My iPad is still rebooting for about two seconds, then I start it again.

that is when it is not plugged in.

when I plug it in it just keeps rebooting over and over with no help from me pushing the power button.

when I unplug it it will continue to reboot until I hold the power button down for a complete boot cycle, about 3 seconds, then it stays off.

right now I am just letting it continuously reboot. Maybe it will make it past the logo, maybe it will run out of power.

this has been going on since I updated it to 8.2 so I have nothing left to lose.

it is out of warranty and I have already replaced it With a new iPad but it seems to be a waste to throw it out or auction it off for parts, at this point anyways.

possibly something will work or there is another option other than holding the home button down to see if the restore prompt will appear.

plugging it into my windows computer doesn't do anything, it's on powered long enough for iTunes to see it.

Thanks again.

8.2 update ipad randomly reboots

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.