Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why am I seeing the software download time estimated at 11 hours?

Hi!

I'm restoring data in my 4S and the Apple server is pushing iOS 8.2 for the upgrade. When I tried to download the upgrade to my MacBook, the download was estimated to take 6 hrs. This didn't seem right, even though I'm downloading from the Airport Extreme. I proceeded regardless, knowing this is generally an estimate and my normal experience has been the estimated download time revises to less time as the download progresses.

This time it nearly took the 6 hours then promptly crashed.

Off to my iMac (currently running 10.9.5) and attempted to download the upgrade on the newer machine. Now the estimated time is 11 hours. Should I have "hard wired" directly from the AirPort Extreme with a LAN cable, or is something choking the download speed at my end?

Just wondering and am awaiting to hear from the collected wisdom of the readers for advice.

<humour> I have nothing to do right now except ride shotgun on this download.</>

Thanx in advance

iPhone 4S, iOS 8.2

Posted on Mar 13, 2015 1:20 AM

1 reply

Mar 15, 2015 2:52 PM in response to TerryS53

Hey TerryS53,

Thanks for the question. If I understand correctly, the update is taking a long time to download. I would recommend that you read this article, it may be able to help the issue.

Resolve issues with an over-the-air iOS update - Apple Support

Download takes a long time, or you can't reach update server

iOS updates require a persistent Internet connection, and the time it takes to download the update will vary according to the size of the update and your Internet speed. You can use your device normally while downloading the iOS update, and iOS will notify you when you can install the update. To improve the speed of the download, avoid downloading other content.

User uploaded file

If you get a message that "an error occurred downloading iOS," try again later. If the issue persists, try updating your device in another network or use iTunes to update your device. Learn more about iOS updates.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Have a good one,

Mario

Why am I seeing the software download time estimated at 11 hours?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.