Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud keychain won't stay off (OS X and iOS)

Please help me turn off iCloud keychain and keep it off.

When I try to turn it off on my retina display iMac (OS 10.10.2), by clicking the "Keychain" checkmark in System Preferences -> iCloud, it becomes checked again literally within the next second.

When I try to turn it off on my iPhone 6 (iOS 8.1.3), via Settings -> iCloud -> Keychain, tapping the "iCloud Keychain" button toggles it from green to white, but then when I go back to iCloud and then back into Keychain, it's back to green again.

I know that it's asking me to confirm my Keychain from another device or something like that, but I'm not getting any notifications anywhere on any of my Apple devices. And whenever I try to approve the device by using codes sent to my phone, I just get stuck in an endless loop: after I enter the codes, it goes back to the status of waiting for approval from another device.

Please help me just get rid of this thing; it keeps asking me to approve my devices, but I just want to be left alone.

Thanks.

Posted on Mar 13, 2015 12:56 AM

2 replies

Jun 3, 2015 2:33 PM in response to zlguocius

I finally got annoyed enough at the endless prompts to approve Keychain that I called Apple tech support, and they helped me find a solution:

1. Find another Apple device that isn't corrupted.
  2. Log in to the same iCloud account on that other Apple device.
  3. Start the process to enable Keychain on that other Apple device.
  4. When prompted, choose to input a code rather than get approval from another device, but...
  5. when you get to the prompt that asks for your four digit iCloud code, click the button for "Forgot code".
  6. You'll be prompted to reset Keychain. Do it.
  7. Now you should be able to toggle off Keychain on all your affected devices. Do it.
  8. Restart all devices after Keychain is off on all of them. (This is important--the first time through, I didn't restart the devices, and the problem re-appeared in a few hours.)

Anyway, this worked for me. I hope it helps anyone who might be reading this. Good luck.

iCloud keychain won't stay off (OS X and iOS)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.