Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

voice recognition stopped working after update

After updating to iOS 8.2 voice recognition has stopped working. If I try to dictate a message/email/note the first few words are captured and then it suddenly stops by itself before I have finished speaking. tried rebooting the phone but this did not help.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.2

Posted on Mar 13, 2015 4:38 AM

17 replies

Mar 16, 2015 3:34 PM in response to Grendelkahn

I am having the same problem exactly as described. Only difference is I am using an iPhone 5s.

Currently discovering further detail though… I was initially having the problem while dictating text into the WhatsApp application and experiencing the problem as described. On attempting to dictate this update into your website here via my iPhone 5s I am finding that it is not cutting out after a few words but instead, on completing my text, it wipes all of my text out!

I am now in Evernote dictating this message and having no problem at all.

Just tested using voice recognition in an iMessage text and no problem there either. Next, just returned to WhatsApp and still having the problem with the speech recognition cutting off after three or four words at most there. Prior to the update from 8.1.2 (I think) to 8.2, I had used the speech recognition extensively in WhatsApp without a problem. Returning to Evernote, the speech recognition is continuing to work fine.

Will log this with Apple support. Hope this extra information helps to diagnose the source of the problem.

(Cutting and pasting from Evernote into forum webpage now!)

Cheers,

Matt

May 28, 2015 1:39 PM in response to Grendelkahn

I'm having something similar, though mostly in mobile Word. Speech recognition seems to be going pretty well, but when I stop for a second, and click "done", it changes the last couple of words, often deleting the last 10 or so characters. These were often identified correctly, and only disappear after I click "done". It has also started putting in 10 spaces after periods, instead of the customary 1 or 2, and it automatically indents new paragraphs, but again, only after "done" is clicked. This all started after the recent update - no problems like this before.

voice recognition stopped working after update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.