Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

dictation issue 8.2

Since upgrading to 8.2 on iPhone 5 dictation in iMessage and WhatsApp drops out intermittently mid-sentence. You then have to type a space, and press the microphone button again. It won't let me finish phrases anymore. Anybody else have this issue?

iPhone 5, iOS 8.2

Posted on Mar 13, 2015 6:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 14, 2015 4:54 PM

II've had this problem with iMessage and inside of Safari. I don't think this is app specific, but rather a basic iOS-level problem.

6 replies

Mar 15, 2015 6:08 AM in response to shuydts

I think that I may have found the solution... Here's a quick recap...

I upgraded to iOS 8.2 Saturday morning (March 14). I let Apple handle everything without intervention and once the upgrade was complete I happily went about my day -- but discovered mid afternoon this weird problem with dictation. After replying to your original post I was fiddling around with it a bit longer and observed that the problem was even worse than I suspected. What I found was that dictation was completely hung. No matter what app I tried, dictation was not indicating that it was even listening. (e.g. There was no motion on the voice-oscilloscope indicator.) So, I decided to just restart the phone -- this is the first restart since the original upgrade. Once it restarted I immediately checked dictation and it seemed to be working flawlessly. I played around with it for nearly an hour afterwards trying all kinds of apps and situations and it worked fine. (Now my only gripe is that when I use dictation to send a text message using Siri, she's a little too anxious to send the message!)

So -- I think that the problem may have been caused by some kind of post-upgrade process. So if you haven't restarted your phone since that time you might give that a try and see if it resolves your issue.

Cheers

dictation issue 8.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.