Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

deleting files requires password

Some time ago (possibly after a software update, or after turning on auto-login) it started asking me for my admin password ("Finder wants to make changes. Type your password to allow this.") every time I delete a file. Then after I enter the password, the deleted item goes straight to "gone" instead of into the trashcan.

How do I get it back to "normal" behavior?

OSX 10.7.5, First-generation Intel MacPro.

Mac Pro 2.66 / 10GB / Radeon 5770HD-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Mar 13, 2015 6:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 13, 2015 8:37 AM

Go to the Finder - click anywhere on your Mac's desktop, and choose File > New Folder.

If a folder appears on your Desktop then continue reading. If not, stop reading.

Open Terminal - it is in your Utilities folder and looks like this

User uploaded file

You can find Terminal by using the Finder's Go menu and choosing Utilities, then double-click the Terminal icon.

Copy (drag or triple-click to select the line) and Paste the following commands into the Terminal window, each one followed by the Return key:

mkdir ~/.Trash

If you get the message "File exists" you can ignore it.

Next Copy and Paste the following line, followed by the Return key:

sudo chown $UID ~/.Trash

This time Terminal will ask for your Admin password - the same one you use when you log in to your Mac. Type it and then press the Return key. What you type will not appear, not even with •••• characters.

Next Copy and Paste the following:

chmod u+rwx ~/.Trash

To summarize the above you will be doing this:

Last login: Wed Feb 12 03:21:53 on ttys000

Johns-iMac:~ john$ mkdir ~/.Trash

mkdir: /Users/john/.Trash: File exists

Johns-iMac:~ john$ sudo chown $UID ~/.Trash

Password: (type your password then press Return)

Johns-iMac:~ john$ chmod u+rwx ~/.Trash

Johns-iMac:~ john$

You will be typing the entries in red exactly as shown.

Quit Terminal.

Drag the empty folder you just created to the Trash, confirm that it appears in the Trash, and that you can empty the Trash without requiring your password.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 13, 2015 8:37 AM in response to Derrick61

Go to the Finder - click anywhere on your Mac's desktop, and choose File > New Folder.

If a folder appears on your Desktop then continue reading. If not, stop reading.

Open Terminal - it is in your Utilities folder and looks like this

User uploaded file

You can find Terminal by using the Finder's Go menu and choosing Utilities, then double-click the Terminal icon.

Copy (drag or triple-click to select the line) and Paste the following commands into the Terminal window, each one followed by the Return key:

mkdir ~/.Trash

If you get the message "File exists" you can ignore it.

Next Copy and Paste the following line, followed by the Return key:

sudo chown $UID ~/.Trash

This time Terminal will ask for your Admin password - the same one you use when you log in to your Mac. Type it and then press the Return key. What you type will not appear, not even with •••• characters.

Next Copy and Paste the following:

chmod u+rwx ~/.Trash

To summarize the above you will be doing this:

Last login: Wed Feb 12 03:21:53 on ttys000

Johns-iMac:~ john$ mkdir ~/.Trash

mkdir: /Users/john/.Trash: File exists

Johns-iMac:~ john$ sudo chown $UID ~/.Trash

Password: (type your password then press Return)

Johns-iMac:~ john$ chmod u+rwx ~/.Trash

Johns-iMac:~ john$

You will be typing the entries in red exactly as shown.

Quit Terminal.

Drag the empty folder you just created to the Trash, confirm that it appears in the Trash, and that you can empty the Trash without requiring your password.

Mar 13, 2015 10:47 AM in response to Derrick61

You're welcome. Try logging out and logging in again.

The Mac's LocalHostName and ComputerName are derived from the contents of /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist.

You could try deleting that file, but I'd be reluctant to do that without knowing what caused it to be changed to begin with. Needless to say have a backup strategy before contemplating any modifications to your system.

Mar 13, 2015 11:17 AM in response to John Galt

The info is correct in the preferences.plist file, and only Terminal can't seem to see it. Possibly got hosed when power went off while I was on the Mac. I'm not going to worry about it unless I see any other abnormal behavior.

The main thing was getting rid of the annoying "enter your password" every time I wanted to delete something, and you got that fixed for me.

Mar 13, 2015 1:48 PM in response to Derrick61

Read what BobHarris had to say about hostname and its relationship to your DNS server in this post: Unknown hostname in Terminal

It's easy enough to fix, but I'd still be concerned about what caused it to change to begin with. Perhaps concern is too strong a word. The OP in that thread said it fixed itself after some number of hours, in which case we'll never know the reason.

Mar 13, 2015 2:09 PM in response to John Galt

I would say my advice in that other post is still valid. Most likely your home router is returning the unknown############ name. Where ############ is your computer's MAC address (Media Access Control address), often displayed as 12:34:56:78:9a:bc.

You can follow the suggestion to change our PS1 prompt, or try thing like power cycling your home router, assuming the home router is your DNS server.

Mar 13, 2015 3:16 PM in response to BobHarris

It definitely has something to do with the modem/router. When I unplugged my Ethernet cable and opened Terminal, I had the computer name displayed. I plugged the network back in, reopened Terminal, and had the "unknown" one again. I tried shutting down the Mac, power-cycling the router, and then starting up the Mac again. Still have "unknown"

Now that I know it isn't something going wrong on the Mac, and it is just the router returning that data, I'm done worrying about it.

Thank you John and Bob for the help. Its nice to know I can come here with questions and get good info / help / advice, and not get flamed for being a "noob"

Mar 26, 2015 3:43 PM in response to BobHarris

I've just started a new thread, somewhat related perhaps, "strange hostname being assigned." Details are there: Re: strange hostname being assigned . About every two weeks, my Pro (latest Yosemite) will show in console that the hostname is set as .... mac book (correctly), and then seconds later will say hostname is set to internalcheck.apple.com. Each time the lid is opened and the computer used, it does the same, sets correctly then sets to internalcheck.apple.com (always that URL). Turning off the airport, unplugging the Actiontec modem/router for a few seconds, always fixes it as well as assigning a new wan IP. No issues with computer performance or connectivity. I just wonder if it's the Pro doing this, or the modem/router, or the ISP, or Apple, or the boogieman. All sharing off, including bluetooth & Time Machine, modem/router with wpa/wpa2 on, MAC Auth on... Can't find anything else about it anywhere being reported. I even see internalcheck.apple.com in the mail headers that come from the Apple Mail program on the Pro. I don't see this happening with the Mini. Sorry to intervene here, carry on, I just wanted to get Bob's attention and thoughts when you're done here.

deleting files requires password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.