Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How Can I Fix My Incoming Safari e-mail?

Have OS X Yosemite 10.10.2

My incoming Safari e-mail stopped working on or around 11 March in UK.

My ISP (name is 'PLUSNET') when asked by me said Apple's servers had failed and were still being fixed So not their problem. So how can I re-instate my incoming mail? I have followed all on-line advice and all seems well. Only it is not! Nothing being received. Most curious.

Grateful for any help.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 13, 2015 8:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 13, 2015 12:46 PM

Mail troubleshooting - Yosemite

Mail (Yosemite): If you can’t receive messages

What does Mail/Window/Connection Doctor Show? If the server is red, select it and look at the Show Details box.

Troubleshooting sending and receiving email messages

8 replies

Mar 14, 2015 6:16 AM in response to jamesfrombrixham

The Problem is that my Plusnet mail is set up as IMAP which I prefer, since the update the account isn't recognising the account password for the IMAP incoming mail it works fine for the SMTP outgoing mail. After inputing the password it says "Unable to verify account name or password" both are correct as they work on the SMTP outgoing server. Using connection doctor gives it as red for the IMAP (Green for the SMTP) and the error User uploaded file

Mar 14, 2015 8:54 AM in response to jamesfrombrixham

Sorted it!,

In the mail app goto account prefs, accounts tab, choose your Plusnet IMAP account, Then untick the ssl box next to port 143, save the changes.

Then do the same thing in the account pane in the main system preferences. You appear to have to do both, Just doing it in either won't help

THEN restart the mail program, it'll ask if it's ok to send the password unencrypted say yes. Go back into both settings panes described above and a new tick box called "Allow insecure authentification" has suddenly appeared under the old Port 143 box, tick that in both and bob's your uncle. Do the usual take accounts online thing to get it going, by clicking on the exclamation mark in the triangle if it's not working straight away.

Mar 15, 2015 11:49 AM in response to Eric Root

Thank you. I did that and it informed me that POP was not working. and to look at the SSL and to find it and deselect. So I did that by virtue of following another piece of advice on this page and I was blundering because none of the terms marched my display but I untucked SSL where it said Poert110 in Accounts and all of a sudden the mail came back on line! Hooray. Thanks all.

Mar 15, 2015 11:53 AM in response to jamesfrombrixham

Pulsate were vagulry helpful in mentioning SSL but did not know much.

So I followed the advice offered via helpful community members and although I did not follow the terminology what I did was go into Mail then

Preference then

Accounts then Advanced now advanced showed me a line Port 110 in a little box and see SSL next to it, so,

I untucked SSL then

by magic

my Safari e-mail loaded up - the stuff which arrived in the break down period I got back by using the Plusnet mail service.

So all is well that ends well I guess.

How Can I Fix My Incoming Safari e-mail?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.