Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

NUMBERS: How to sum a list of time durations to get a total? I'd working with a sound track and need to manage the segments.

I'm working with a list of audio clip durations (MM:SS:10th). I could use "TIMEVALUE()" but it appears that I'd have to do this for every entry in a long list - not very handy (especially when the list comes from elsewhere).

How can I sum() a column of time durations?

Numbers 3:5:2

OSX 10:10:2

3.5 ghx intel

8 gb

Numbers-OTHER, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), Function/number format question

Posted on Mar 13, 2015 12:40 PM

7 replies

Mar 14, 2015 3:06 PM in response to GeneLG

Data relieved in mm:ss:## format.

Could you give an example or two of the 'mm:ss:##' format? What exactly does it look like?

If you can give specifics either a formula or a short script should be able to convert it to a form that Numbers can treat it as a duration. But knowing the specifics is important.

SG

Mar 14, 2015 6:43 PM in response to SGIII

1:32:20

2:40:01

These are audio clip durations in minutes, seconds and parts of seconds. Standard log stuff.

Not in this case, but often could be cue points or time code.

Thank you for your assistance. My problem was adequately solved by my work-around. If Numbers added a more useful time data format that would recognize notation used in A/V that would be great. For now, my current task is complete.

Indeed there are specialized apps for dealing with such logs. I had a "quick and dirty" need and Numbers on the specific machine I was using so I chose that general purpose tool.

Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone

Mar 14, 2015 9:08 PM in response to GeneLG

Well, glad you've found a "workaround"... whatever it was.

BTW, your format has been a bit of a moving target:

first: MM:SS:10th

then: mm:ss:##

And now: 1:32:20

Looks as if there are not always two digits for minutes after all.

Anyway, Numbers and other spreadsheets can of course easily handle this kind of problem, if the problem is defined precisely enough.

SG

Oct 7, 2015 9:47 AM in response to GeneLG

Boy, this one had me stumped. Using Numbers 3.5.3 (2150) on Mac OS X 10.10.5.

For some reason, when I used the above techniques, and formatted my summation cells as a Duration, Numbers kept reformatting it back to a Date and Time. I would get an error: Values being summed by SUM must be either all durations or all numbers, unless one value is a date.

I had set up a sum of a column in which the difference between two times (G5 - Event End and G4 - Event Begin) gave me the duration in the column (B4 and below), and I wanted to sum the column to tell the total hours in the column. Apparently, some of the columns were zero, rather than durations, because the time fields were blank, in the rows where I didn't have time entries yet. (My previous time difference formula had been = H4 - G4)

Each cell in my column of duration difference cells contained the formula: = IF ( ISBLANK (G4), "" , H4 - G4). This places nothing in the cells where there has been no event thus far.

My summation formula is simply =SUM ( B4 : B24 ). =SUM(B) doesn't work because I have text headers. I hope, if I extend the rows downward, the formula will automatically populate. However, what made the formula work was the way I formatted the cell.

When I just chose Duration as the Data Format and then Custom Units, clicked off hr and min boxes, to limit my field to hours and minutes, and then chose "0h 0m" for my style, I continually got the error reported above in my summation cell. But, if I chose Create Custom Format... from the Data Format drop down menu, I can set my own format for the cell. Leave the Type as "Date & Time". Delete the month day and year. For my purposes I dragged the Hour field into the format line, then I typed "h " (that is small-h followed by a space) and then I dragged the Minute field into the format line, then I typed m (no space). This gave me the format 0h 0m.

I hopes this helps.

NUMBERS: How to sum a list of time durations to get a total? I'd working with a sound track and need to manage the segments.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.