Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to back up a mac using disk utility in recovery mode

my Macbook pro suddenly hanged one day and I switched it off. When I switched it on , it gave me an icon file with a ? in the centre icon.Now I cant access my mac so I pressed command + R when I started my computer. I tried to repair my Macintosh HD but it failed. Is there a way to back up the data using the restore tab or anything else? How do I back up my HD when it's corrupted? I have an old backup but I rather try to back up what is there in the computer now. I would really appreciate if some one also tell me what is this 'disk 1 OS X BASE SYSTEM' that I see the left side of the window.

Thanks

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 13, 2015 2:24 PM

7 replies

Mar 13, 2015 2:29 PM in response to Sayehh

If the drive is truly damaged, then Disk Utility won't be able to read it in order to clone it. But you do this:

Boot to the Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

1. Select Disk Utility from the main menu then press the Continue

button.

2. Select the destination volume from the left side list.

3. Click on the Restore tab in the DU main window.

4. Select the destination volume from the left side list and drag it

to the Destination entry field.

5. Select the source volume from the left side list and drag it to

the Source entry field.

6. Double-check you got it right, then click on the Restore button.

Destination means an external backup drive. Source means the internal startup drive.

If you don't have an external drive you can use, then use Niel's suggestion to use Target Disk Mode.

How to back up a mac using disk utility in recovery mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.