Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My AppleTV is not recognized by iTunes

I have a problem when trying to restore my AppleTV, after it had stopped working following an interrupted power supply during a software update. I read this guide to find a solution: Apple TV (2nd and 3rd generation): Restoring your Apple TV - Apple Support

The problem is that AppleTV does not appear in iTunes, it simply will not connect. I have double checked "everything" (USB-cable, power supply, updated iTunes, restarted everything, etc), but it simply will not connect.

Does this mean that the unit has a hardwear malfunction??

AppleTV 2

Posted on Mar 13, 2015 1:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 13, 2015 1:35 PM

Many people having issues with the update (including me) My Apple TV stop working.... and is not even been recognized by iTunes.

14 replies

Mar 13, 2015 5:03 PM in response to vazandrew

I don't know of what setting on the computer would prevent being picked up by iTunes. iTunes picks up my iphone and iPad fine. I have restore both my iPhone and IPad using the computer connection after one of the many IOS update issues. I did not set the apple TV on the computer - I set it up on the TV screen - which I obviously can't use now. My router and Wifi and air play worked fine prior to today so don't know why my router and wifi would decide it didn't like the apple tv or has settings preventing it from connecting to my computer using the micro cable. My iPhone, computer, iPad also work fine today with my router and wifi. However, I understand that the next step would be to buy another cable to check if the cable I have is working. Will check Best Buy and see if they have one tomorrow. That seems to be the next step..

Mar 13, 2015 7:23 PM in response to Gemakker

I had this same issue and my guess is your micro usb cable is the problem. I had to try two different cables before I found one that worked. Turns out it was the cable from my kids Leapster that did the trick. I did have to unplug and replug in the Apple TV power before my computer would recognize the Apple TV after I had the correct cable.

Mar 14, 2015 1:10 AM in response to kampcccc

Thanks a lot for sharing your views and experiences!

The comment from kampcccc solved my problem! I thought I had eliminated the USB-cable as the problem before, since it worked perfect with other devices. But when I replaced it with another cable (which in my case was meant for charging a bicycle front-light ;=) ) everything worked out well. So, my impression from this is that different micro USB-cables might have different "connectors" activated (?)

Anyway, now my AppleTV is up and running again - thanks to you guys!

My AppleTV is not recognized by iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.