Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk Utility will not start

I just recently started playing with my old PMG4 (Digital Audio, originally 667 MHz upgraded to 1.467GHz) and reinstalled everything, including OS 9.2.2 and Tiger (10.4.11). But I noticed something odd: Disk Utility will not start. Also, DMG files will not open to allow unpacking.

Does anyone have anything to try, short of just doing an "archive and install" from my Tiger CD (10.4.6) to reinstall everything?

Posted on Mar 13, 2015 2:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 13, 2015 2:57 PM

Are you using the discs that came with the computer originally? Are they retail Tiger discs? If they came from another computer, especially from an Intel model, then they aren't going to work for you.

3 replies

Mar 13, 2015 3:22 PM in response to Kappy

I don't have the original install discs (must have lost them but they would have been 10.1 or 10.2 on Digital Audio, IIRC), but this is a full retail Tiger DVD (10.4.6), which I installed and then ran Software Update repeatedly until they told me there were no more updates.

I did a little more looking and I think I found the culprit (or at least part of it). There was a file missing from /usr/lib when I looked at the details about trying to launch Disk Utility. A little more research showed that this file is installed in the Security Update 2008-002, which I was pretty sure was installed (Software Update told me no updates were available). I do remember one botched update in the process of applying them. Perhaps that was it? Anyway, I downloaded that update (had to unpack the .pkg file on another Mac since this one couldn't), and ran the updater. It completed successfully, it rebooted, and now it works.

That said, if I find other problems I will probably just archive and install, but this is a hobby machine for me and there's no critical data on it. Thanks for the input!

Disk Utility will not start

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.