Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I share photos and music between different user accounts on the same macbook

How do I share photos and music between different user accounts on the same Macbook? i.e. I want all to be able to access family photos when logged into their respective accounts. Same goes for the iTunes library. Hope this is possible...

Thanks!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 13, 2015 4:33 PM

2 replies

Mar 13, 2015 4:38 PM in response to lbberg

For iTunes, move its library into the /Users/Shared/ folder, launch it with the Option key held down, and choose that library.

For iPhoto, click here and see above; if you dont have an usable external drive, use the Disk Utility to create a disk image. The drive used to store the library shouldnt be the same as the one holding its backup.

(124109)

Mar 13, 2015 5:31 PM in response to lbberg

To give other users read-only access to your iTunes library, use the Sharing features of iTunes. Sharing works over the local network as well as on the same computer. See the built-in help for details.

To give others selective access to your iPhoto library, you have the option of using iCloud Photo Sharing, if the privacy implications don't bother you. The images will be stored temporarily on Apple servers.

If you want to give full read/write access to more than one user, see the support articles linked below.

iTunes: How to share music between different accounts on a single computer

iPhoto: Sharing libraries among multiple users

There is a way to share the library without moving it to a secondary volume. If you really need to do that, ask for instructions.

How do I share photos and music between different user accounts on the same macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.