Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 6 storage doesn't add up

My iPhone 6 64 GB phone keeps alerting me my storage is full. I have deleted almost all of my apps, and many pictures and videos and each time it just goes back to full. The amount of storage it says I am using does not add up to the amount it says is used. My other is only 2.2 GB and all together it adds up to about 22 GB of storage used, yet it says I have used 55 GB and my iPhone is full. Where is my missing 30 GB of storage and how do I get it back?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.2

Posted on Mar 13, 2015 4:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2017 6:51 AM

How can I fix my iPhone storage, when it does not add up to the amount of storage used, I deleted many of my apps because of it.There is not more than 1GB apps,however it shows 11.6GB used, please help, thank you.

36 replies

Aug 18, 2017 5:51 AM in response to shyshell

ANSWER: OS reinstall aka reset to backup.

I had the same problem. iPhone 6 "16 GB" more like 11.5 GB. I updated my OS and the problem was fixed. Luckily there was an update last week I hadn't opted for yet, installing it sorted out the glitch. Many people recommend "resetting" the phone, which then leads to a reinstalled OS. I think this must be the common solution. The phone's archival cache system, RAM lol, has gotten all whacked out and out of wack. What it needs is to be reformatted. :D apple doesn't seem to support apps that do this easily for you unlike android, or so I read in app reviews.

-Nic

Aug 22, 2017 6:18 PM in response to shyshell

What I found in my gf's iphone 6s (32GB), is that "crash logs" were occupying 11.5 GB 😮. I don't know how to delete those crash logs via iTunes or manually but I used a program called "phoneclean" and it did the work.

I found amazing the data used by "crash logs", mostly because it is a relatively new iPhone (around 7 months).

Sep 2, 2017 10:42 AM in response to philly7789

OMG... thank you SO much! I've been combing the internet periodically for over a year trying to figure out why my phone's storage did not add up. I thought I finally found the answer this morning & went to investigate said answer through iTunes where it told me that my phone had 6.67GB free yet my phone said 858MB... that is a huge discrepancy. Apparently I have a fairly substantial music library that I never knew was on my phone because it said it was in the cloud and it is obnoxious that this isn't made obvious anywhere. Best part is that I have been almost exclusively streaming from Music for quite some time, so having any library stored anywhere is pretty irrelevant.

Sep 15, 2017 7:37 AM in response to shyshell

I see this is an older post, but after reading through all of the replies I couldn't help but add my 2cents. There is a much easier way to free up a lot of this bloated space (for those who use Apple Music), short of going through the entire process of Restoring your phone from a backup. Which takes a lot of time. You want a solution that will work quickly so you can keep taking pictures of your kid at their latest performance.

I agree, important to delete old back-ups, deleted photos, unused apps, etc.. but the quickest thing to do to free up space is to go to the phone's Settings > iTunes & App Store > tap on "Apple ID..." > sign out > then sign back in.

Granted, this is going to free up space for those who use streaming Apple Music. Probably frees up space from other cached data, but largely it will remove the cached data from streaming music (which streams but also stores on your phone). To regain access your music library, playlists, etc. you will need to go to Settings > Music > enable "iCloud Music Library" as this gets turned off when you log out of your account. Note, you'll also have to download any music you'd downloaded previously from Apple Music, as this gets wiped out when you log out. But in a pinch when trying to shoot a priceless video, it's worth it.

Oct 10, 2017 10:28 PM in response to shyshell

I recently noticed the same issue with my iPhone 32GB and I figured out that the, already mentioned, method of turning off and on, or just off, the iCloud Photo Library gave me back a huge amount of memory. So it was with this in mind that I decided to try turning off iCloud Drive, which temporarily removes the app from your home screen, but don't freak out. You don't lose anything you've stored in it. Lately I've been using it a lot to backup media right away cuz I've been having issues with my wifi, namely not having money to afford both it and my phone bill, so I haven't been able to make any backups to iCloud. I noticed in the Manage Storage setting of iCloud, it said Other Documents: 9GB. This is how much space the stuff you manually add to iCloud Drive takes up. I guess it stays queued up or something if you view it at some point because when I turned it off then back on, I gained all that space back. All 9GB. I even opened it to make sure everything was still there and it was, and so was my newly found chunk of memory. Hope this helps.

Mar 15, 2015 9:12 AM in response to shyshell

iPhone 6 128GB I have/had weird storage issues myself. (Not sure if it's fixed yet.) It started after I loaded 8.2. I was only using around 60 GB then all of a sudden it popped up stating my Storage was full. I checked my storage and I had 114 MB free. I went into settings,then manage storage and the numbers didn't add up. I then went into iTunes and I had approximately 65 GB of other. I couldn't even get a backup. I freed up 2 GB by deleting whatever I could but it filled up before the backup would complete and then iTunes would error out about not having enough free space. iTunes thought it got a good backup once but it's corrupted and won't restore now. It gets 90% done and errors with a message about how it's incompatible with my OS version. Which was updated to 8.2 the same as when the backup was taken.

I did an OTA 8.2 update. I usually don't do OTA's but for some stupid reason this time I did. No, I didn;t take a backup before I did it and I've lost some things. I'm not complaining about that, no backup is completely my fault.

My irritation is the whole storage filling up. One part being that I can't see what's going on with the storage besides the options available in settings. Another iOS update and more problems. What's happened to Apple? I've never seen or had these problems with iOS updates before 8. Too much too fast?

Thank you for Apple for helping me clean out my phone and deleting those Apps I never use.

Mar 17, 2015 1:51 PM in response to PinkFrosty

That is exactly what mine did except I didn't have hardly any other! i could literally watch the storage disappear no matter how much I deleted. I had the same issues with backing it up with iTunes and everything. I plugged it in another time the next day to attempt to back it up again and all of a sudden I had all my storage back. Weirdest thing ever. I hope you get yours back! Good luck!

iphone 6 storage doesn't add up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.