Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dell monitor u2415 not working with MacBook Pro. Ideas?

First, "thank you" for reading.

I cannot get my out-of-the-box new Dell monitor, model u2415 to display my MacBook Pro (MBP), 15-inch, Early 2011, OS X Yosemite. (I am not trying to daisy-chain).

After working with Dell Tech Support twice focusing on cabling, they tell me it is "Plug-n-Play" and incompatible with Apple. However, I find on YouTube and elsewhere, people with Apple computers (usually mini's) using this new Dell monitor.

Just to be clear...Dell Tech. Support, kept following a script, which I understand the logic of, but wouldn't stray from though I said, "but the monitor's Front Panel Controls only bring up 'Inputs" and nothing else."

There is no "Menu" from which to select from, which in the User's Guide the Menu brings up a whole host of settings. I have tried all four buttons (dots) on the bezel / panel and each one only brings up "Inputs." (I've tried disconnecting the power cable and trying again too).

Ideas???

MacBook Pro, iOS 8.2, Early 2011

Posted on Mar 13, 2015 8:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 13, 2015 9:15 PM

Hi, I got the same monitor the other day and there should be no problem getting it to work.

Use the DP to mini-DP cable supplied with the monitor.

Make sure this cable is plugged into the correct input DP port in the back of the monitor (not the DP port for daisychaining).

Make sure the DP input is selected in the inputs menu on screen.

Plug mini-DP end of the cable into Mac

Should work ...

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 13, 2015 9:15 PM in response to gregoryfromalexandria

Hi, I got the same monitor the other day and there should be no problem getting it to work.

Use the DP to mini-DP cable supplied with the monitor.

Make sure this cable is plugged into the correct input DP port in the back of the monitor (not the DP port for daisychaining).

Make sure the DP input is selected in the inputs menu on screen.

Plug mini-DP end of the cable into Mac

Should work ...

Sep 10, 2015 11:02 AM in response to msim20

I had the same problem with a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) and a Dell U2415 monitor, using the mini-DP/DP cable from Dell.

I would only get an error message on the monitor - "there is no signal coming from your computer”. OS X recognized the monitor (under About this Mac) by model “Dell U2415” but it stayed in power saving mode and would not display anything from OS X.

Previously the same monitor worked with my MacBook Pro (13-inch, Early 2011). I tried the SMC and NVRAM reset procedures and also deleted the com.apple.windowserver.plist file --but had no luck.

I resolved the problem by connecting my MacBook Pro (13-inch, Early 2011) to the Dell U2415 monitor with the same cable, and it worked perfectly. This allowed me to see the Configuration menu. Under the Display section, I set DP 1.2 to Disable. That one change fixed it for me.

I hope this helps someone else.

Sep 30, 2015 8:04 PM in response to Quentinfromtx

This. So many times, this. I used a HDMI cable to connect my Macbook Pro Retina and was able to get in the configuration menu (The UI for the menus ***** but that's another issue). Once in there I was able to confirm that indeed DP 1.2 was Enabled. I disabled it, switch the input back to the DisplayPort and voila! My U2415 is working again. Be careful you get the DP cable plugged into the correct port. You need to use the DP In one, not DP Out.

Dec 5, 2015 9:15 PM in response to gregoryfromalexandria

Oh goodness @Quentinfromtx and @bigether thank you so much. I've had my U2415 for a week, connected to an early 2014 MBP 13" and couldn't for the life of me figure out why it was intermittently cutting out, sometimes not showing any picture at all. It was fine when I used it with an older MBA. In my case I had to ENABLE DP1.2 and all seems ok... (though it's only been a couple of hours, so who knows...).

Thank you!

Mar 5, 2016 6:32 AM in response to gregoryfromalexandria

TL;DR: Not sure, but seems like the flickering issue is specific to mini-DP (macbook) to DP (monitor), regardless of port and setting. Changing the monitor end to HDMI, which will require other cords, should resolve.

For those of you to whom the above solutions don't apply:

-I used the factory provided DP-miniDP.

-I know I put into the correct input/output ports.

-The monitor would flicker intermittently connecting to the Macbook and sometimes not recognize entirely. From what I can tell this is something of a known issue with this dell model and has something to do with DP 1.2 compatibility. Apple recommends updating firmware for the monitor but I couldn't find any.

-Tried the disable/enable DP 1.2 solutions mentioned above, still had the same issue.

-I have a henge dock that requires the use of the mini dp port on the macbook (if you don't and have an HDMI cord lying around that should work)

Faced with the daunting prospect of trying to arrange a return for a monitor I had delivered via mail, I invested another $15 and bought a mini-DP/mini-DP + mini-DP to HDMI adapter + HDMI I had around. I also tried a straight up mini-DP to HDMI cord but for some reason couldn't get it to work. The mini-DP to adapter to HDMI solution into the monitor works for me and the flickering issue is resolved. Didnt wan't pay more but less of a hassle than any other option I could think of.

Mar 24, 2016 7:43 PM in response to michael louey

I have a MacBook Pro which I regrettably just upgraded to El Capitan. I have been able to hook up the Dell U2415 monitor with the mini DP cable as Michael suggested and it seems to be working so far.

There was only a CD that came with the monitor that supposedly contains all of the user instructions, but it seems to be formatted for Windows. Has any other Mac user been able to read this CD to get the instructions? If so, how?

Thank you!

Nov 2, 2016 6:04 AM in response to gregoryfromalexandria

I had a similar problem once with an external display not working with my MBP mid-2012.

the problem turned out to be that the display port on my MBP was dirty with dust and causing a bad connection.

Solution was to blow out the MBP display port with a can of compressed air which I purchased at Walmart.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dust-Off-Electronics-Duster/25596750

Make sure all your cables and connections are good. Try with another working computer.

I used this adapter

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-DisplayPort-Thunderbolt-Adapter-DA-MDHA/dp/B017NK IQ8M/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1478090197&s…

Dell monitor u2415 not working with MacBook Pro. Ideas?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.