Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help dual network

Ok I just can't not grasp why this isn't working.

I have one home network with a airport extreme doing the dhcp and nat. all the computers etc etc are getting their ip addresses from the main router.

I picked up a second apple extreme and I want to set it up as a separate network of its own yet with internet from the main router. The reason I want to separate this into two separate networks is I have added IP cameras to my home and want to contain the mass amount of traffic they cause to its own network in order to prevent it from bottle necking the computers, tv's etc etc on the first network.

Some on has to have an answer on correcting doing this.

On router 1 10.0.1.1 its connected to the cable modem

Now I ran a line to router 2 via ethernet cable and plugged it into its WAN port now once i go inside to configure it for some reason I can't manually configure the router i have to set it up as a new network, extended network or join existing.

So I tried setting it up as a new network and well no matter what i try and do it won't work

Was told that router 1 would be

sub 255.255.255.0

Router 2 needs to have a external ip so i assigned it

and the internal ip need to have a different sub so i changed that to

10.0.2.1 router address spot

for the life of me it doesn't matter way i change it will only allow a connect to the router with no internet by wifi and ethernet won't even register a IP from router two. I tried enabling DHCP on router 2 and that does do anything to help. tried with nat on also and still nothing. I hope some one of you more technical folks will help with a straight forward non sarcastic response and give a little step by step in a dumb down version.

This should even be a issue but for some reason with a apple router once again it seems we are handcuffed.

Thanks

iPad Air Wi-Fi, Cellular, iOS 8

Posted on Mar 14, 2015 12:14 AM

10 replies

Mar 14, 2015 2:23 AM in response to code2medic

The airport utility should be smart enough to pickup the ethernet connection.

Now I ran a line to router 2 via ethernet cable and plugged it into its WAN port now once i go inside to configure it for some reason I can't manually configure the router i have to set it up as a new network, extended network or join existing.

This is the correct method..

Is ethernet working properly? The little LED on the ethernet port should turn on. Does it?

If it still fails.. what version airport utility are you using?? or on what device.. is this using your iPad or a computer?

What versions are the airport extremes? Actual model is helpful from the base.. or post the actual screenshot of the units.

Click the unit to show its summary.. you can post one overview and the summary.

User uploaded file

It helps no end to get that info before we start giving you explicit info for your particular setup.

Main modem might also help and how the whole lot is setup.. the pictures tell the 1000 words.

I hope some one of you more technical folks will help with a straight forward non sarcastic response and give a little step by step in a dumb down version

You will get good help here.. we just need that bit more info..

There is a lot of good info in this thread on roaming network.. that is what your setup is called.. sadly apple has been very out of date now with their setup documentation..

Setting Up Roaming - New AirPort Extremes and Utility

The way I would do it is isolated setup of the second Extreme manually then plug it into the network.. tends to solve things.. but let me assure you if you are running Yosemite and have issues.. you are in a very large club now.. so setup from the ipad depends on having everything perfect and it might be choosing wireless links for some not so obvious reason.. do you have a computer to do this with??

Mar 14, 2015 2:59 AM in response to LaPastenague

My original setup was having my three router basically extending my network all as one. before trying to setup a second network yes everything is working as it should.

After resetting on router to its default and trying to configure it as its own network when a ethernet cable is plugged in yes I get green lights

Apple utility is the most current version everything was being configured with my MBP rather then my Imac

I can also configure it if need from iPads or the iphone

The main airport extreme router 1 is a 5th generation

I am running yosemite

BTW im not concerned with the 2nd network having WIFI it will be hardwired not need for wireless when the cameras with be on a 8 port POE switch underneath router 2

Router 2 is a 4th gen

AS of right now I put it back to its original way extending my wifi among the house and garage since the wifi was spotty. main router does the hard word the other two routers just extend my wifi per apples instructions

Im thinking it has something to do with the main router and the dhcp and nat fighting each other. I do with when you do add a router you have more options to configure then the preprogrammed apple ones. 3 choice new network, join or extended. I have a feeling its me and putting the wrong numbers in the wrong spots or just missing something. I have never had a issue on non apple routers from actually doing a 2nd network like this so I'm not sure where I'm going wrong.

it should be

modem ----> to router 1 wan port------> ethernet from port 1 to router 2 WAN

router 1

Internal port 10.0.1.1

sub 255.255.248.0 Not sure why its getting at 248 on the last three number

Router 2 static

Wan port should be 10.0.1.3 to communicate to the main router

then an ports should be on a different sub 10.0.2.1 and then it would issue a IP to those computers keeping them serrated but. IN theory LOL thats not the case here.

FYI router 2 for now has been put back to its original working way of extending my main network till i get this figured out.

Main router

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Router 2 the one I want to have its own network but with the ability to have internet for viewing the feed outside the netowrks

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Mar 14, 2015 2:56 PM in response to code2medic

Sometimes you will get a different subnet on the WAN side of the main router.. but that is a bit unusual.

I think you have a fairly unusual setup in configuring dhcp reservations outside the dhcp scope... this maybe part of your problem.. it actually should not work.. and even if it does there is a good chance it will not pass packets.

I think you need to go back to basics...

You can certainly save the setup of the main router.. just export the configuration..

Then I want you to factory reset it.

Factory reset universal

Power off the AE.. ie pull the power cord or power off at the wall.. wait 10sec.. hold in the reset button.. be gentle.. power on again still holding in reset.. and keep holding it in for another 10sec. You may need some help as it is hard to both hold in reset and apply power. It will show success by rapidly blinking the front led. Release the reset.. and wait a couple of min for the AE to reset and come back with factory settings. If the front LED doesn’t blink rapidly you missed it and simply try again. The reset is fairly fragile in these.. press it so you feel it just click and no more.. I have seen people bend the lever or even break it. I use a toothpick as tool.

NOW redo the setup from the computer with Yosemite.

1. Use very short names.. NOT APPLE RECOMMENDED names. No spaces and pure alphanumerics.

eg AEgen5 and AEwifi for basestation and wireless respectively.

2. Use all passwords that also comply but can be a bit longer. ie 8-20 characters mixed case and numbers.. no non-alphanumerics.

Plug the AEgen4 you want to use for the secondary network into the primary AE by ethernet as you have been doing...

Let me show you exactly what shows up when I do this.. I have factory reset the AEGen4 to ensure clean setup. The AE is plugged by ethernet into the

TC which happens to be nearby.. sadly the airport utility is confused... as is not uncommon.. Note my change of name.. something short, no spaces and pure alphanumeric.. helps loads later on. Click other options.

User uploaded file

Pick create a new network.. since I do not want extend wireless.

User uploaded file

Fix up the names yet again.

User uploaded file

Complete the setup. It has setup the AE as router and we can simply fix it.. go to edit..

User uploaded file

Click on the Network tab and set to bridge.

User uploaded file

Update the AE and now see how the whole network looks.

User uploaded file

You can of course use double NAT.. and just ignore the issue.. but the setup was a bit complicated.. as I have rather too many devices.. wireless kept cycling in and out..

One thing I do need to clarify .. if you set the camera on a secondary network by ethernet.. why do it this complicated way.. and not just plug the devices in by ethernet to your main AE??

How does using the secondary AE help unless you double NAT.. which is going to make access difficult?

Mar 15, 2015 1:30 PM in response to code2medic

I think you are still going to have issues if you are recording constantly from all cameras.. you should in fact use a separate vlan for the cameras.. but that is going to then require you use a managed switch..

I think to help you with this you might need a network guru who knows how to setup some rather more complicated systems..

Smart managed switches have dropped dramatically in price.. so that can help.. also better router than apple are easily available.. sometimes when you start doing complicated stuff.. apple routers simply don't cut it.. You can still use them for switch and AP and Time Machine backups but stick to routers with business level ability when you start using vlans..

Aug 2, 2015 7:02 PM in response to LaPastenague

LaPastenague. I wonder if you can help me. I live in an old building with very thick walls. I have been able to use Ethernet and three wireless routers to create three wireless networks with different names but iPads and iPhones dont switch to the strongest wireless network so I've tried to create a roaming network where the wireless routers have the same name for the network. This is not working because yosemite's version of airport utility doesn't have the "share an IP address" command. I wish apple would keep its airport support by Mac OS to make sure this is possible. Hope you can help. Btw I'm not as technologically savvy as you so I hope I've used the correct terminology!

Aug 2, 2015 7:15 PM in response to dalgleishj72

This is not working because yosemite's version of airport utility doesn't have the "share an IP address" command.

Share a public IP address is exactly the same setting as DHCP and NAT.

so I've tried to create a roaming network where the wireless routers have the same name for the network.

In a roaming network, Mac computers will usually automatically switch to pick up the strongest signal from the closest wireless access point. But, iPhones and iPads will not.

So, when you move an iPhone or iPad from one area near one router to another area near another router.........you will need to get in the habit of temporarily turning off the WiFi (or putting the device in AirPlane Mode) while you move from one area to another. When you are at the new location, turn the WiFi back on and the iPhone or iPad will usually......but not always.....pick up the signal from the closest router.

That is a nature of the beast with iOS devices like the iPhone and iPad. They are not nearly as smart as a Mac.

Aug 2, 2015 8:05 PM in response to dalgleishj72

The "main" AirPort should be in DHCP and NAT (same as Share a Public IP address)

All other AirPorts need to be in Off (Bridge Mode)

DHCP and NAT means that the AirPort router is providing Private IP addresses to each network device and NAT means that the AirPort is sharing the one single IP Public IP Address that it receives from the modem with network devices.

Off (Bridge Mode) means that DHCP and NAT are turned "off" since you only want one router supplying DHCP and NAT services for a network.

Please start a new post for any additional questions, since we are drifting far away from the original topic of this post.

Help dual network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.