Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yosemite clean install issues

My mac mini 2011 was upgraded to yosemite recently, and basically grinder to a snail pace halt. I took it to the genius bar - nothing wrong with anything via diagnostics. They advised to save all folders from both hdd's on the mini to an external drive. After that they completed a clean install of yosemite, and instructed me to take it home and copy the folders from both drives back to the drives again.

I couldn't have two systems, library and user folders on the one drive - so renamed the ones from my ext hdd with a numeral 1 (system 1, users 1, library 1) just to enable me to copy them across to the startup disk. These did copy although not without issue (icons showed bar wasn't complete when it was, and there is an X in the top left corner of each folder - looks as though only partially copied but checked they have identical content and Gbs).

Now I need to delete the original System, Users and Library (not applications) folders from the clean install, and rename my copied folders as per the original, so my computer will hopefully function normally. I hope.

However, I am completely unable to remove, modify or change those three folders in any way - not even drag to trash, nor rename them.

So....what do I do??? Thanks in anticipation of a wonderful and simple solution that allows me to cancel my re-visit to the genius bar on tuesday!

Mac mini, 10.7.5

Posted on Mar 13, 2015 11:59 PM

1 reply

Mar 14, 2015 4:41 PM in response to jrolph

No Mac that can run 10.3 or earlier can run Yosemite, or vice versa. Please post in the correct forum:

http://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-2463

You can have two systems on one drive, but renaming the folders is NOT a good idea. Apple has prescribed folder names. Instead what you need to do is use Disk Utility to partition the drive, assuming there is space to do so. Clone backup your data before partitioning as a marginal hard drive may wipe out all your data in the process. There is no Mac OS X clean install. The reasons are explained on my FAQ:

User contributed FAQ

Be sure to use the actual terminology used by Apple's installers. If your system was erased and it was having trouble, the issue is hardware, not software.

If Apple or the hardware test can't detect an issue with the system after it was erase and installed, then the RAM is most likely to blame.

Yosemite clean install issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.