Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

airport express

I have sky fibre optic broadband and windows PC. I want to stream music via airport express to some active speakers via optical. The with fi in the room its going to is poor. I want to connect airport via a home plug to the sky router,and then connect the airport to the speakers. The latter is easy but any help in how I do the former would be gold. Would it work,the airport needs to extend the WiFi signal to allow the streaming.

Posted on Mar 14, 2015 4:29 AM

13 replies

Mar 14, 2015 1:57 PM in response to adrianone

Your basic setup would be to use a pair of HomePlug adapters, one at the location of the existing Wi-Fi router and another at the location of the AirPort Express base station. You should refer to the manufacturer's support site for setting up the adapters. Once configured these adapters will provide an Ethernet-like connection between your two routers.

To configure the Express for AirPlay, please take a look at the following Apple Support article to get started.

Mar 15, 2015 1:26 AM in response to Tesserax

Many thanks,that is most helpful. Would this setup boost the signal in that room? If not it won't work for me as WiFi is too poor there for streaming. At present I also have a solwise Ethernet plug with WiFi,and I connect WiFi devices to the solwise in that room,all other locations to the sky hub. If the airport configured on a roaming network boosts the signal then that sorts the problem and I can move the solwise WiFi plug elsewhere(airport would still be connected to the hub by another home plug).

Mar 15, 2015 12:37 PM in response to adrianone

Would this setup boost the signal in that room?

In theory, yes. In a roaming network, the AirPort Express will provide a separate Wi-Fi network ... BUT that network would use the same network name (or SSID) as your primary router. It will appear as a single network to any wireless devices. You should be able to roam between routers and still be on the "same" network.

Mar 16, 2015 4:57 AM in response to Tesserax

Ah,got you. The roaming network is not a separate network,but the iPad will connect to the airport which should enhance the signal from the sky hub. I guess this is what is meant by bridge mode. If that is better than trying to connect to the solwise WiFi plug(which enhances WiFi massively),then that is what I will do. I am most grateful,you have helped me considerably.

Mar 16, 2015 9:30 AM in response to adrianone

If that is better than trying to connect to the solwise WiFi plug(which enhances WiFi massively),then that is what I will do.

Ok, I was assuming that you had Ethernet-only HomePlug devices, not the Solwise HomePlug with Wi-Fi. I do not have this type of device so I can only make the following configuration assumptions for your potential network configuration.

• Configure a pair of Solwise AV HomePlugs; one near your Sky-provided router and the other in the room that you'll have the AirPort Express in.
  • Now, you have two choices:
    • Your suggestion: Connect the Solwise Wi-Fi plug into the AV plug in the room with the Express, and then, configure the Express to join the Wi-Fi network created by the Wi-Fi plug, OR
    • Do not use the Solwise Wi-Fi plug. Instead, connect the Express to the AV plug using an Ethernet cable, and then, configure both routers for a roaming network.
  • I would suggest that you try both configurations and go with the one that provides you with the best streaming performance.

Mar 16, 2015 9:59 AM in response to Tesserax

Excellent. I think I would like to try the second choice first as I am not totally sure how I configure things for airport to join solwise.

One last question. You say configure both routers. What do I need to do,if anything,to the Sky hub settings? No point in contacting Sky as they won't give any support to airport express. Also,in the set up you describe,I assume all other devices used in other parts of the house would continue to pick up WiFi from the hub and not the air port? And,if I were to put an airport in another room(I will shortly have two sets of active speakers) would this set up work?

I can't test your advice yet as the airport is yet to be delivered. Its taxing my non tech brain big time but your advice gives me confidence in setting this up.

Ade

Mar 16, 2015 10:12 AM in response to adrianone

Fortunately, you won't have to make any configuration changes to the Sky router only to the Express for the roaming network.

The key elements for configuring a successful roaming network are:

• The routers need to be interconnected by Ethernet. Yours will be using the Solwise HomePlugs.
  • Both routers must use the same network name or SSID.
  • Both routers must use the same W-Fi security type (WPA or WPA2, the latter recommended) and password.
  • You will use the AirPort Utility for Windows to configure the Express.

Mar 19, 2015 11:29 AM in response to adrianone

Airport arrived today I followed your instructions connecting it to powered speakers in the living room. This isn't the room it will be needed in,the one where WiFi is weak, but I await the new speakers before I can configure that. It works! And in the living room works perfectly. I see no reason why it won't do the same in the other room. So,many thanks,you led me through this. One last question,if I got another airport so both sets of speakers had airport connected,do I get this to join an existing network or set it up in exactly the same way?

airport express

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.