Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Encrypt a folder

I have an iMac with home folder sync and backed up to CrashPlan central by default.

The local home folder is not encrypt.

"Under" this synced home folder's iMac I have an important folder that I want to encrypt locally.

In this folder I'm adding / deleting / changing sub folders data.

Is it possible to Encrypt ALSO this home folder's folder and its sub folders locally and also with CrashPLan ?

as my data is encrypt with CrashPlan offsite but locally I don't have any secure option now.

Thanks.

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), null

Posted on Mar 14, 2015 7:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 14, 2015 7:48 AM

You can either encrypt the entire drive with FileVault, create an encrypted disk image to store those documents, or use a third-party program.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT4790

How to create a password-protected (encrypted) disk image - Apple Support

If you create a disk image, don't save the password in the keychain as then it would unencrypt anytime it was double-clicked while logged in as you.

If you use Time Machine, you want to use a sparse bundle disk image as it will only backup the changes instead of the entire image.

i Don't know how CrashPlan would deal with either a sparse image or a sparse bundle.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 14, 2015 7:48 AM in response to rony-z

You can either encrypt the entire drive with FileVault, create an encrypted disk image to store those documents, or use a third-party program.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT4790

How to create a password-protected (encrypted) disk image - Apple Support

If you create a disk image, don't save the password in the keychain as then it would unencrypt anytime it was double-clicked while logged in as you.

If you use Time Machine, you want to use a sparse bundle disk image as it will only backup the changes instead of the entire image.

i Don't know how CrashPlan would deal with either a sparse image or a sparse bundle.

Encrypt a folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.