Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MIDI Sustain release issues for Yamaha Arius 162.

I'm using a Yamaha Arius 162 to record my playing in Logic Pro X via MIDI in my recording studio. I've installed the latest MIDI driver from Yamaha and Logic Pro X has no issues detecting the controller and receiving note messages. However, I would expect that Logic Pro X would receive and understand a sustain off message in a timely manner from a popular digital piano. I have to press the pedal again just after releasing in order to release the sustain. This is a problem for all software instruments and makes playing properly impossible.

Logic Pro X, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 14, 2015 7:22 AM

4 replies

Mar 14, 2015 9:13 AM in response to tuna-piano

This sounds more like an issue with either the pedal or the Yamaha....

Also, as of March 12 2015... Yamaha have not yet released proper drivers for use with Yosemite....

http://faq.yamaha.com/us/en/article/musical-instruments/keyboards/digitalpianos/ arius_series/ydp-162/10618/8396

...so that might explain the issue you are having.....

Finally, when the Piano was assembled, did you make sure you had fully inserted the Pedal cord into it's socket?

Mar 14, 2015 11:08 AM in response to The Art Of Sound

Hmm possibly. No way to confirm though. I don't have any other MIDI controllers to validate. I just double checked the sustain pedal cable and it is fully inserted. The piano itself doesn't have issues with releasing sustain so I think it's sending the signal, but it's either not being interpreted properly by the driver or I have changed some setting somewhere in Logic Pro X that could have caused this. However, I don't know of any such setting and I didn't mess around much. I just downloaded the software yesterday. Logic releases the sustain after sending a few signals from the controller (pumping the pedal). Is there a way I can see all of the MIDI events? That could help me confirm if the signal is being received the first time or not and help isolate the issue. Thanks.

Mar 14, 2015 11:17 AM in response to tuna-piano

Ok.. two things to check/try..

1) Quit Logic Pro and then delete both Logic's prefs and the CS Prefs as described below..

Delete the user preferences

You can resolve many issues by restoring Logic Pro X back to its original settings. This will not impact your media files. To reset your Logic Pro X user preference settings to their original state, do the following:

1. Quit Logic Pro
  2. In the Finder, choose Go to Folder from the Go menu.
  3. Type ~/Library/Preferences in the "Go to the folder" field.
  4. Press the Go button.
  5. Remove the com.apple.logic10.plist file from the Preferences folder. Note that if you have programmed any custom key commands, this will reset them to the defaults. You may wish to export your custom key command as a preset before performing this step. See the Logic Pro X User Manual for details on how to do this. If you are having trouble with a control surface in Logic Pro X, then you may also wish to delete the com.apple.logic.pro.cs file from the preferences folder.
  6. If you have upgraded from an earlier version of Logic Pro, you should also remove ~/Library/Preferences/Logic/com.apple.logic.pro.
  7. Restart the computer.

Note: If you cannot find either of these files... you didn't follow the instructions exactly as written 🙂

If that doesn't fix things... download the Midi Monitor from here...

http://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/

Now press the pedal on your keyboard and make a note of what the monitor sees and post up the results here...

MIDI Sustain release issues for Yamaha Arius 162.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.