Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do Apple MagSafe 2 power adapters break easily?

I was about to order a Magsafe 2 power adapter for my rMBP so I could keep one at home and one at work. But there are hundreds of reviews at store.apple.com saying they break easily, the wires fray, etc. but I've seen very few complaints about them on this or other user forums, and none of the five I've owned for various MacBooks since 2010 have ever broke.

Are Macbook power adapters really so unreliable and prone to breaking? Or is it possible that the reviews at Store.apple.com are so dominated by trolls as to be unreliable?

Posted on Mar 14, 2015 6:15 AM

2 replies

Mar 14, 2015 9:57 AM in response to roncron

People don't often write reviews about things as mundane as power adapters unless they have something to complain about. I have one that's only recently started to fray. It's four years old. I have many others as old, or older, and they're fine. Treat them carefully and they ought to last the life of your Mac.

Troubleshooting MagSafe adapters

Using and maintaining your Apple MagSafe Adapter

Reducing cable strain on your MagSafe power adapter

Do Apple MagSafe 2 power adapters break easily?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.