Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"nanoregistrylaun" and "nanoregistryd" processes sucking iPhone battery

I have these two processes sucking memory on my iPhone - I checked it through the app "Normal" - but they're not connected to any app.
I closed all apps, closed background update but these processes are still there, sucking battery (dropped 23% in less than half an hour)
I try rebooting, but they're still there.

Can someone tell me what's it all about?

Thanks.

iPhone 5, iOS 8.2

Posted on Mar 14, 2015 10:58 AM

11 replies

Mar 22, 2015 8:54 PM in response to Emiliano Severoni

I'm also seeing this process running on my phone (identified by the app "Normal"), and I think it showed up with the recent iOS upgrade. Not sure what it is, but I presume it was something introduced by that iOS upgrade.

Emiliano - I also noticed an increase in battery drainage speed. The thing that helped me most was killing the step and motion tracker, which can be found under your privacy settings.

Mar 14, 2015 11:09 AM in response to Emiliano Severoni

Don't wrack your head trying to figure it out. The easiest thing to do is backup your iPhone to iTunes, place your iphone in recovery mode (to download fresh firmware/software) and restore the iphone via recovery mode. Trying to find the "why" will only lengthen the process of resolving the issue. These are rogue apps or processes from a third-party; not from Apple.

If you don't know how to get into recovery mode, simply disconnect iphone from iTunes, turn the iPhone off, press and hold the home button while you connect the plug back into the iphone. Wait for the iTunes logo to appear on your iPhone display and then click "restore" on your computer. This should get you back up and running without the battery drain issues.

Mar 14, 2015 11:09 AM in response to raven69david

raven69david wrote:

Don't wrack your head trying to figure it out. The easiest thing to do is backup your iPhone to iTunes, place your iphone in recovery mode (to download fresh firmware/software) and restore the iphone via recovery mode. Trying to find the "why" will only lengthen the process of resolving the issue.

If you don't know how to get into recovery mode, simply disconnect iphone from iTunes, turn the iPhone off, press and hold the home button while you connect the plug back into the iphone. Wait for the iTunes logo to appear on your iPhone display and then click "restore" on your computer.

You don't need to put a phone into recovery mode to restore it as new using iTunes.

Use iTunes to restore your iOS device to factory settings - Apple Support

Mar 14, 2015 12:06 PM in response to raven69david

As I told before, no app is connected to these processes, because I already killed ALL the apps and the processes still stay there. I deactivated background update too.
And these two processes never existed before a couple of days ago.
Battery Usage shows me apps that I use everyday since I have the iPhone.

Is there a task manager for iPhone that lets you kill background processes? I didn't find one.

Question now is: if I restore my iPhone and then restore my backup, will those processes be still there?

"nanoregistrylaun" and "nanoregistryd" processes sucking iPhone battery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.