Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mail not working

On 23 February 2015 my Apple mail stopped working.

I've got three Apple IDs, each of which has a mail mail account, each with several aliases.

Initially, for the first couple of days, I could send an e-mail to myself (yup, lot of use), then only to my main account - aliases stopped working.

Since 23 February I've received no regular mail, although Apple, with varying degrees of success, have been able to send me two or three messages; this despite me spending many hours on the phone with all manner of second level helpers, doing all sorts of things for them whilst they shared my screen - I'm guessing this was to see that I could follow orders.

In truth I've also been given the royal run-around, as these senior assistants have variously promised to call me back within the "next 24 hours". One did eventually call back after a week! But then only after I'd called the same helpline to ask what was happening.

Several of these second level helpers have gone around the houses with just about all the tweaks they can think of, but have all been stumped.

The last person I dealt with, despite "having read" all the details of my problem, has insisted on numerous ocassions on again doing the same sort of tweaks, all to no avail. I've been told that they have passed this problem to senior engineers, but it is prretty obvious that just one e-mail account not working isn't high on their priority list.

Now I've had to resort to using .gmail, which works just fine in Apple's Mail application, but I still have no action on my Apple Mail. Worse still, of course, as none of my aliases are working, I'm getting no mail from my usual correspondants.

If anyone has a solution, or has heard of a similar problem, I'd be grateful to hear. I mean, it might help Apple's engineers somewhat.

Back in the day I'd delete my preferences or zap my PRAM, and am waiting for one of these bright sparks to suggest just that.

Interestingly, this problem occurs on both my iMac and MacPro. My daughter, who also has a .Mac account and several aliases, and lives in the same house, has no problems at all, so this has nothing whatever to do with my internet service provider. Apparently.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Mar 14, 2015 10:59 AM

10 replies

Mar 15, 2015 3:14 AM in response to Eric Root

Eric and Linc,

Thanks for the replies.

I've had Connection Doctor open, and it reports no errors - nothing on the server goes red.

I've also watched all the attempts to do somethng with mail in Mail's Activity Monitor, and this doesn't report any errors.

I've signed into iCloud, and watched a message which was sent flash (a number 1, as in 1 message) next to the Inbox at the top of the screen. The message doesn't appear, I just get a flash to say one was passing through! It doesn't appear in the trash or anywhere else; it just never arrives.

Interestingly, I also get this same flash activity on my MacPro, but I get no sign of life on my iMac.

Mar 16, 2015 10:52 AM in response to Linc Davis

Linc,

Thanks again. Negative on the iCloud rules - I've set none - I don't use iCloud, but get all my email via Mail. Well, I used to!!

Apple, for what little they've said, haven't indicated that this problem lies in either Mail or iCloud. However, after 21 or so days, this is getting to be less funny. To hear Apple's people tell it, they've got everyone and his dog working on this one problem. Yeah!

Apr 1, 2015 2:31 AM in response to crliege

It may not be of any help, but it needs saying: if I was the CEO of Apple this would've been fixed 6 weeks ago, instead of which, as a pathetic sap of an Apple usual (you know, one that currently only has a MacPro, an iMac, two MacBook Pros, a MacBook Air, five (yep) iPhones in the house and six (yep again) iPods) I guess it's just fine to treat customers this customer this way.

I've been using Apple computers since the early 1990s, and to be frank expected better - well, at least something would be good, from a company that advertises itself as being up there with the best. They promise that they're fixing this problem and will call back, instead of which all I get is a stone wall of silence.

I'm guessing that nobody from Apple ever reads this sort of posting, so maybe I'm just talking to myself.

Apr 1, 2015 1:42 PM in response to crliege

Apple doesn’t routinely monitor the discussions. These are mostly user to user discussions.

Send Apple feedback. They won't answer, but at least will know there is a problem. If enough people send feedback, it may get the problem solved sooner.

Feedback

Or you can use your Apple ID to register with this site and go the Apple BugReporter. Supposedly you will get an answer if you submit feedback.

Feedback via Apple Developer

Apr 26, 2015 2:47 AM in response to Eric Root

Finally got a fix. After much fiddling by Apple's engineers, turning off all the functions in mail, and then turning them back on again, one at a time, to see what happened, it appears that there was (still is?) a conflict between Mail's letting mail through and junk mail filters. Once I turned off the junk mail filters, Mail worked OK.

Apple were also able to restore all the mail I'd "missed" in the 5 weeks or so that Mail wasn't working.

As a postscript, it's fair to point out although I've not turned junk mail filtering back on, I'd really like to - for obvious reasons. I'll muddle along with a somewhat lame Mail and see if I can live without these filters. That said, it's part of the program, a part that worked just fine for the last couple of decades, so why it should stop working to the extent that it stopped all mail is an itch I can't scratch. It should work but doesn't.

Oct 24, 2015 4:43 AM in response to Eric Root

I did the reset thing a long time ago. It just doesn't make sense to turn it off.

Junk mail filtering is supposed to do just that, filter junk mail. If I turn it on for, say, 50 junk mail senders, then my mail gets stopped, and I'm back to square one.

I can't believe that I'm the only one in the world with this problem. I want junk mail filtering to dump all mail I tell it is junk in the round bin; painfully it is hopelessly inadequate. Apple don't care. I see where it's been suggested that Apple don't monitor these discussion groups, so what's the point. Then again, if I am the only one in the world with this problem, where is the value in Apple caring, ergo they don't. Their engineers on the help line are no help: they're on a clock, and as soon as I go over their limit, I get the very quick, "I'm going to pass this to a senior engineer" and they scoot off to a coffee break or whatever. The next level of help isn't much better, but they talk a somewhat better talk. The end result is still the same; no result.

Everybody is guessing at the obvious answer which everybody else guesses at because that's the standard response, nobody has come at this from any angle that treats it as a problem: saying that I should use junk mail filtering will make the problem go away is circular reasoning, as the problem lies within that part of mail I'm trying to use.

Maybe because Mail is free with the operating system then they're not going to waste any money on one person's problem. Shame of it is I've used Apple for 25 years; I'd never recommend their customer service because this (and the the other major problems I've had) are still there - repeating iCloud Session Password requests, for example. I could go on, but realise I'm the only one left in the universe!!!!

mail not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.