Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iChat replaces contact photo in texting conversations with another contact photo.

Hi all,

I'm using Yosemite and I also have an iphone, the two are synched so my texts appear on both my phone and my imac.

I have an odd situation where within ichat on the imac. The contact photo is replaced with another contact's photo. So I have individual chat conversations going on with "PersonA", "PersonB", "Person C" and "PersonD". PersonA's photo appears for PersonB (who on my phone and in my contact list has their own photo) and PersonC (who also has their own photo). PersonD and many others however remain unaffected. If I look at the same conversations on my iphone, the photos are as they should be.

I realize this hardly is urgent, but it is a little goofy.

Anybody else seeing this?

Thanks!

Posted on Mar 14, 2015 11:31 AM

1 reply

Mar 14, 2015 3:50 PM in response to cazoo

Hi,

I take it the issue is in the iMessages account conversation on the Messages app (there is no iChat) ?

I am being specific about it being Contacts form the Contacts App rather than Buddies for the services that were present when the app was iChat.

That is to say the app can join 5 services effectively and I want to know is it account specific ?

In Yosemite the Pic in the List on the Left is pulled from the Contacts App no matter what service you can using to Chat or Converse.

In the Chat side of the Main window the Pic can be from the service involved Server.

That is to say if you are having an AIM chat (like it was iChat) then the pic is sent from the Buddy to the Server and your see this.

Jabber is the same and so is Yahoo.

Bonjour relies again on the Contacts app.

iMessages always shows the Address Card (Contacts ) pic.

From there to get the Full name and sometimes the pics to be correct the App has to sync properly with the iPhone version via iCloud or some other service.

Check in the Contacts app > Preferences > Accounts that only one is selected.

If there are two accounts in operation it can depend where the Contact appears in each list.

User uploaded file

10:50 pm Saturday; March 14, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

iChat replaces contact photo in texting conversations with another contact photo.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.