Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ios 8.2 upgrade lost all notes

I upgraded my iPhone 6 plus 64 GB to IOS 8.2. I downloaded the upgrade over the air and installed while it was plugged into my power supply. After my upgrade finished successfully, my years worth of Notes are now missing. The Notes app says no notes. What happened and more importantly how do I get my notes back. I have an iCloud backup from 11/2014 that should have most of these notes. But when I attempt to restore that backup I get a message that say my iPhone does not have enough space even though my usage shows over 11Gb of free space. ***, apple? So I really do not want a back up from 11/2014 since that would be probably loose my photos and data added since then. What I really want is just my note files returned. How can I do that?

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.2, 64Gb

Posted on Mar 14, 2015 11:28 AM

11 replies

Mar 14, 2015 12:17 PM in response to pneborg

pneborg wrote:

So I really do not want a back up from 11/2014 since that would be probably loose my photos and data added since then. What I really want is just my note files returned. How can I do that?

You are correct about losing things. Restoring to a backup puts the device back to the way it was on that date/time, so anything done since that date/time is lost. As TJBUSMC1973 indicated, check the place where you are syncing notes. I'm guessing that you do that so they reside somewhere besides the iPhone. If you do not have them synced somewhere, and it has been almost 6 months since you backed up the device, I would say you may have lost them, or at least a portion of them.

Mar 14, 2015 12:48 PM in response to TJBUSMC1973

TJB..., This was set already to Default Account "On My IPhone". After the upgrade I now have an iCloud option. It does not matter which is selected though notes are gone. Thank you Apple for considering my note files not important and clearing them out for me. I would recommend that backup everything before running their flawed IOS8.2 upgrade. They clearly have little respect for your data during this poor upgrade.

Chris. All of the them are lost. Every note from over 5 years of notes are gone.

Mar 14, 2015 1:32 PM in response to pneborg

So you were not syncing them to anything at all? You kept 5 years of notes only on the phone? Before you made an upgrade to an operating system on the phone, you did not do a backup of the device? I'm sorry, but this was not Apple's fault, and you identified the best thing to do yourself, and that was to run a backup, before any installation or iOS update. The have as much respect for your data as you do. They provide you with multiple free ways to backup your data, you chose not to. That is no one's fault but your own. There is no flaw in the update, I ran it this morning with no issues, but I also made sure I did a sync and backup of the device before I updated. Millions of users updated their devices with no issues.

Mar 14, 2015 1:57 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Really Chris. did you not read or forget the part where I clearly stated that I have backup from 11/2014. And no I don't sync my iPhone because running iTunes on my PC is not something I am interested doing continuously. I am not sure what other "free" options you could be babbling about since iCloud is free only to 5Gb which hardly matches a 64Gb iPhone. Where did you pull that stat of millions of users updated their devices with no issues (thin air).

Let me be clear on where this is Apple's fault. The one button press to upgrade did not suggest or warn that without a backup data could be lost in the process. It simply proceeded to download, then install and result in lost data. I am glad your upgrade ran without issue however you clearly took a different path by syncing and backing up (your welcome for sharing my experience to help avoid any similar loss of data). I will have to hack the backup from 11/2014 to extract my lost note files up to that point I suppose. Next time before you take the liberty to make accusations I do suggest you get your facts more clear. Thank you for the zero help and to all others it would appear that the correct approach, despite the not being referenced in the upgrade, is to sync and backup first then apply a backup.

Btw, I never really wanted the upgrade in the first place but was looking to correct another issue with iPhone 6 plus rendering multimedia texts as raw encoded base 64 text. For anyone experiencing that gem of an issue please know that IOS8.2 does not nothing to fix that problem either.

Mar 14, 2015 1:58 PM in response to pneborg

pneborg wrote:

TJB..., This was set already to Default Account "On My IPhone". After the upgrade I now have an iCloud option. It does not matter which is selected though notes are gone. Thank you Apple for considering my note files not important and clearing them out for me. I would recommend that backup everything before running their flawed IOS8.2 upgrade. They clearly have little respect for your data during this poor upgrade.

Chris. All of the them are lost. Every note from over 5 years of notes are gone.

So, these Notes were not synced, they were only on your iPhone. And you never made a backup.

Then they are gone. Next time, take better precautions in securing and protecting your data. iCloud and iTunes backup options are completely free. The only limitations are the space in iCloud (5GB, but upgradable to 20GB for 99 cents per month) or your computer's hard drive if you're using iTunes.

Mar 14, 2015 2:02 PM in response to pneborg

pneborg wrote:

Really Chris. did you not read or forget the part where I clearly stated that I have backup from 11/2014. And no I don't sync my iPhone because running iTunes on my PC is not something I am interested doing continuously. I am not sure what other "free" options you could be babbling about since iCloud is free only to 5Gb which hardly matches a 64Gb iPhone. Where did you pull that stat of millions of users updated their devices with no issues (thin air).

Let me be clear on where this is Apple's fault. The one button press to upgrade did not suggest or warn that without a backup data could be lost in the process. It simply proceeded to download, then install and result in lost data. I am glad your upgrade ran without issue however you clearly took a different path by syncing and backing up (your welcome for sharing my experience to help avoid any similar loss of data). I will have to hack the backup from 11/2014 to extract my lost note files up to that point I suppose. Next time before you take the liberty to make accusations I do suggest you get your facts more clear. Thank you for the zero help and to all others it would appear that the correct approach, despite the not being referenced in the upgrade, is to sync and backup first then apply a backup.

Btw, I never really wanted the upgrade in the first place but was looking to correct another issue with iPhone 6 plus rendering multimedia texts as raw encoded base 64 text. For anyone experiencing that gem of an issue please know that IOS8.2 does not nothing to fix that problem either.

How much data do you have on your iPhone that there's not enough space to restore the iCloud backup? If you were only using the free 5GB, then there is absolutely no reason it won't fit on a 64GB iPhone. What is the size of your iCloud backup? Erase the device, then restore the backup.

And the prompt to update your iOS also has a link for more information, and it is also on the official Apple Support Article for updating your iOS that one of the first recommendations is to backup your data.

Additionally, you should be backing up your data on a regular basis. What would you have done if your precious Notes on your iPhone were lost... because you lost your iPhone or it became damaged?

There is absolutely no excuse for not backing up your data. Either you take precautions and can recover it when there's an issue, or you don't take precautions and potentially lose years of data.

You chose the latter. Best of luck.

Mar 14, 2015 2:07 PM in response to pneborg

I read the entire thread, don't worry, but come on, one backup in the last 6 months. I never asked you to run iTunes continuously. You have the option to sync notes to supported applications for safe keeping, as well as syncing with certain email accounts. iCloud backup is another option, and it does not backup everything on the device, so it does not need 64GB, if you understood anything about the Cloud backup. If this data was so important, then why did you not do anything to ensure its safe keeping? And the expectation to have some kind of warning about backing up, that is a given whenever you update a device. I've not made any accusations except to say that you failed to properly maintain a backup of your device. And while we are at it, when is the last time you backed up your computer? If you think that the information that I gave you was zero help, then keep going on updating your device without a backup, only backup these important files every 6 months or so and don't think about the fact that electronics sometime fail. Take some personal responsibility for your data. Back it up.

Mar 14, 2015 8:22 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

The link for more information does not mention anything about performing a backup first. It is simply a one sentence blurb that explains that this 8.2 upgrade addresses a few performance and maintenance fixes. I wish your claim was true but it is simply is not the case when applying the upgrade directly from the iphone. Maybe the experience you are describing happens if you upgrade through iTunes will connected to a desktop

Once again, I have a backup from 11/2014. That is far less than 6 months ago, isn't (Nov to March is 4 months)? And, I do sync my files and pictures to OneDrive automatically. However that sync does not apply to the Notes app. I fully know how iCloud works and in fact the free 5GB exceeds the minimized backup offered through so iCloud backup requires a purchased plan to hold the data needed for a backup. So here again your pointless comment of plenty of free backup options does not really apply for iCloud. Again, I have iPhone back ups, Two of them in fact. One from 11/2014 and one from today plus synced data to OneDrive so your accusation that I do not have data safe keep is neither an answer to my original question nor is accurate. So for you to say I failed to properly backup my device is not true. Your condensing attitude to assume I have not backed up my computer is uncalled for in my opinion. I have worked as software developer for over 25 years and certainly know how to handle data as well as how to properly issue an upgrade that will not risk other's data. I will not even dignify your final comment because clearly you are simply being ignorant.

Getting back to the point of asking for support help/question for others. Please only respond if you have technical option and spare me the spam of non-technical actionable response. Contrary to the two individuals who choose to bash me and continue to pretend that I have not backed up my device. I have a backup of my device that would contain the note app records lost during the IOS 8.2 upgrade. However my attempt to use this restore is met with the following odd error. I have 64gb iPhone 6 plus which 44.7Gb used and 10.8GB free. But I get this error attempting to use the restore. I am concerned about resetting my phone to then find that I can not restore either my 11/2014 backup or today's backup. That would make this situation even worse. Is there a way I can get access to the 11/2014 given that this particular backup is on iCloud? My goal would be so that I can open it to selectively retrieve data. In years past I have used a utility to access a local desktop backup of my iPhone. That utility allowed my to obtain data from with a backup.

User uploaded file

ios 8.2 upgrade lost all notes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.