Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is taking up my iCloud storage

I am currently running out of storage space on iCloud and don't understand what is taking up all my space. I am only backing up one device, a iPhone 5. It's backup is the yellow portion of the bar (1.95GB). The little orange sliver at the right side of the bar is mail backup (44MB). That all makes sense. However, what is the green "Docs" part which takes up the bulk of my storage space (2.33GB)? What's in there? How do I select what's stored there? How do I reduce it's size?

<Image Edited by Host to Remove Personal Information>

iPhone 5, iOS 8.1.3, null

Posted on Mar 14, 2015 5:00 PM

15 replies

Mar 15, 2015 8:15 AM in response to Pattersoncr

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#safe=off&q=what+documents+are+stored+on+iclou d

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#safe=off&q=what+are+docs+shown+on+icloud+usag e+graph

I don't have icloud, or need it, or want it -

As the screenshot you posted is removed because it had personal info on it, no one can refer to it. If you would, do it a gain and redact the personal info so someone who might know can help you.

If you cannot find the info you want from all the Apple resources (you CAN click around in almost all those pages), OR from the 3rd party articles from Google, then Apple must not want you to know.

Mar 15, 2015 5:26 PM in response to Pattersoncr

out of curiosity - as I am naive about this interface, but familiar with many others - what do these buttons do?

User uploaded file< next to yours usage graph > ? sound Promising ?

User uploaded file< "Account details..."

What about ...

User uploaded file??

In another thread, the images and discussion about iCloud Drive seem to indicate it is like a regular "Cloud" interface... Folders, subFolders, files... just like a normal cloud

In

iCloud: iCloud storage and backup overview

When you sign up for iCloud, you automatically get 5 GB of free storage. Your iCloud

storage is used for

iCloud Backup,

iCloud Drive,

iCloud Photo Library beta,

app data and

>> documents << stored in iCloud, and iCloud Mail (your @icloud.com email account).

At the end of the doc, it says

Your iOS device backup only includes data and settings stored on your device.

It doesn’t include data already stored in iCloud, for example contacts, calendars, bookmarks, mail messages, notes, shared photo albums, iCloud Photo Library beta, My Photo Stream, and documents you save in iCloud using iOS apps and Mac apps.

Last Modified: Feb 3, 2015

this last sentence seems to indicate that the laundry list is describing this...

User uploaded file

That said, it seems that the "SIZE" factor applies... (likely in this typical descending order)

1. Photos (Shared Albums? - PhotoStream?)
  2. Mail
  3. Apps
  4. Documents
  5. Contacts
  6. Calendars

What is taking up my iCloud storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.