Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto 9.0 download needed

Is there a free download for iPhoto 9.0? I am trying to upgrade a catalogue from 8.1.2 and the instructions on the apple website direct you to an incorrect version. Thank you in advance.

Posted on Mar 14, 2015 4:38 PM

7 replies

Mar 14, 2015 4:43 PM in response to Caramiainc

No. There is no free updater for iPhoto 9.0. From 8.1.2 to 9.0 is a paid upgrade.But you can only buy the latest release from the AppStore, and that is iPhoto 9.6, that will require Yosemite.

If you need an earlier version of iPhoto 9.0, try to buy an installer from Amazon or eBay. You can buy them as part of an iLife '11 installer.

Mar 14, 2015 4:54 PM in response to Niel

Thank you both for the reply. Could you provide me with a link from Amazon on what exact item to purchase? Also, I have a second computer that runs iPhoto 11, version 9.4.3- that doesn't help me with my older library correct? The big picture here is I have a iPhoto library on a hard drive that is old (8.1.2). I am trying to update it so I can view it on my newer computer and move it eventually to Lightroom.

Mar 14, 2015 5:03 PM in response to Caramiainc

Also, I have a second computer that runs iPhoto 11, version 9.4.3- that doesn't help me with my older library correct?

That computer should be able to open the iPhoto 8.1.2 library and to upgrade it. Just connect the drive with the iPhoto Library to the computer that runs iPhoto 9.4.3.

You may ru into permission problems, however. set the "Ignore Ownership" flag on the drive with the library.

See this support document: iPhoto: Sharing libraries among multiple users

Mar 14, 2015 5:42 PM in response to Niel

That did not work. I copied it from my external hard drive to the computer and opened the new library. I can see the titles of the images but get a large exclamation point when I click on the photo, I no longer get a preview image. I plugged it back in to the computer running the old version of iPhoto and that computer now says "your photo library is either in use by another application or has become unreadable".

Mar 14, 2015 5:45 PM in response to léonie

Hi L'eonie- I tried that originally. When I do that I get the prompt "The photo library needs to be upgraded to work with this version of iPhoto". Then when I click upgrade I am told there is a problem and it needs 'repair'. I can't remember without recreating why it didn't repair but it didn't work. That led me to the idea to upgrade before moving it over.

iPhoto 9.0 download needed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.