Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot send emails from contacts

Cannot send emails directly from my contact, have to use mail app..

iPad Air 2 WiFi, Cellular, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Mar 14, 2015 6:15 PM

52 replies

Mar 15, 2015 4:02 AM in response to stephenfromlake ridge

I'm not sure why that happens. But try the basic troubleshooting steps. Close both apps - Mail and Contatcs, reset the iPad and see what happens.

In order to close apps, you have to drag the app up from the multitasking display. Double tap the home button and you will see apps lined up going left to right across the screen. Swipe to get to the app that you want to close and then swipe "up" on the app preview thumbnail to close it.

To reset the iPad, Hold down on the sleep and home buttons at the same time for about 10-15 seconds until the Apple logo appears on the screen after which time you can release the buttons and let the iPad start up.

Mar 15, 2015 11:27 AM in response to Demo

WWhat i am trying to say is I cannot send an email from the Contact App. In Contacts I am tapping on the actual email address or the mail envelope, same results. The email will open but I put in subject and the message the send button remains grated out an won't send. I have tried on all my families devises, iPhones and iPads! same results. Emails work fine in the email app.

Mar 15, 2015 12:11 PM in response to stephenfromlake ridge

I apologize again. I was just trying to make sense of your last post and you cleared it up for me. So thanks for that. Unfortunately, I cannot imagine what would cause this behavior on 6 different devices at the same time. The only real connection that I can think of is that all of the devices are on the same WiFi network so I would want to test that. Have you tried sending an email from the contacts app using another WiFi network?

You did say that all of these devices are being used with different Apple ID's, correct? I ask because if all of the devices had been set up from the same backup, there could be something in the backup that is causing this.

Another thought... We're you ever able to send emails from the contacts app on any of these devices? or is this a new problem that coincides with an iOS update? Did you update your devices to iOS 8.2?

Mar 15, 2015 12:52 PM in response to stephenfromlake ridge

It could be related to the update but I still find that to be an extraordinarily weird ocurence for all of those devices to have the same problem after an update.

Have your considered restoring one of the devices using iTunes? Backup, restore to factory settings and then restore the backup?

Use iTunes to restore your iOS device to factory settings - Apple Support

Mar 15, 2015 12:56 PM in response to stephenfromlake ridge

I have just tried this on my iPhone 5s, and my iPad mini. Both devices are on iOS 8.2. I am able to duplicate this behavior under certain conditions, and I've also worked around it.

If the mail app has not been opened and I open the Contacts app and select an email address from a contact, it will open a blank email, and once I enter data into the Subject line, it will activate the Send button. However, if I send or cancel the email, and then press the home button to close the mail app, go back to Contacts and select the same or another contact, no amount of typing in the subject or email message area will activate the Send button. However, if I force closed the mail application, it will work again for the first email, but will not work again until I force closed the mail app. I can create a mail message from within the mail app if I begin to type the recipient's name in the To: section and select it. The Send button will activate once I type in the Subject line.

Not sure what is going on here or when it may have started, as I always create my email by typing a name into the To: section and select from a list rather than going from the Contacts app as the OP is reporting. But I've been able to duplicate the behavior.

Mar 15, 2015 1:10 PM in response to stephenfromlake ridge

It may be difficult for many to duplicate, or to see that it is working that way, since that is not the way many normally do mail. I had to work at it to get it to do what you were doing because that is not the way I handle mail, so duplicating the behavior took me some time. I suggest you provide feedback to Apple HERE, and describe the issues using he correct link. You are welcome to use the verbiage that I put in my post as to how I was able to duplicate the issue.

Cannot send emails from contacts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.