Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCP7 App error on latest Yosemite...

Just got the latest MBP 13" Yosemite 10.10.2... after my MBP 2010 logic board failed. Had Time Machine on external, was able to migrate only part of my files via Migration Assistant, made sure vitals were in my new computer as the internal storage is 120GB... The problem im trying to fix is that FCP 7 isnt opening, and has a transparent ø symbol on it...

When i go to open it a window pops up saying

"You cant use this version of the application Final Cut Pro with this version of OSX. You have Final Cut Pro 10.0.3"

i dont have FCPX on my comp, and up till the day my old MBP crashed (Feb 28), FCP 7 was fine...im sure i had the latest OSX updates installed.

1st: i know updating versions of OSX often mess with older apps like FCP7...is there any FCP updates i should install besides pro app 2010?

2nd. should i reinstall an older version of OSX?

3rd. I still have my preceding MBP internal HD, could just boot off of that and work?

and if so, my movie files are on another external HD...how would i consolidate everything onto one?

thanks for the help

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 14, 2015 7:31 PM

4 replies

Mar 14, 2015 9:10 PM in response to hydrogel

First off, migrating applications is not the best option. Especially FCP. FCP is a lot more than just what's in the Applications folder...it installs components all over the system and libraries, can cannot function without them.

Second, OSX 10.10 is three operating systems past the last supported OS. Even people with properly installed FCP 7 on 10.10 have issues. The main one is that the core of FCP is Quicktime 7, which is fully featured and Pro. QT 7 isn't installed on 10.10, only QTX is. And that is stripped down and has no pro features. Apple is moving towards another system, AV Foundation...that is the core of FCX. Yes, you can install QT7 in Yosemite, but it too, isn't supported.

Third, you cannot run older OS versions on current Mac computers. They contain newer hardware that requires the newer OS, because it contains those drivers. The older versions of the OS do not have those, and the computer will not boot.

Recommendation...use FCS Uninstaller (digitalrebellion.com) to remove FCP, and then install it from the original installer DVDs. And download QT 7 and install that. That's the best way to do it. But know that it still isn't fully supported, and won't function as well as it did on the supported OS. Many features might not work.

Mar 15, 2015 2:37 AM in response to Shane Ross

somehow my last back up on file was months ago, although i know i backed just a few days before the crash. super weird.

i mean if i plug in my old HD is there a way to find that kind of data? the various kind of stuff time machine usually backs up like stickie notes on the dashboard etc...

hence the question of booting from an external...maybe could i boot my old HD on an 2012 MBP, retrieve my data that way?

FCP7 App error on latest Yosemite...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.