Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to reset Macbook password with my Apple ID

I forgot the password that I used for my macbook when I did a clean install of Yosemite a few months ago. However, when I set it up, I did checkmark the box "Allow user to reset the password by using the Apple ID". But now it doesn't seem to work. After the 3 failed attempts at the password, I click on "reset password" and it brings up this dialog box as shown in the photo. I know my Apple ID password, but it asks for Apple ID as well, but there's no text box to type it in. See photo

User uploaded file

I've check this out on another macbook air running the latest Yosemite, also, and if we go in and enter three failed attempts and then click reset password, we get the very same dialog box. But that macbook, too, is signed into AppleID, and has that checkbox ticked to allow it to reset the password. What are we missing here?

Thanks

Mac OS X (10.7.3), null

Posted on Mar 14, 2015 8:19 PM

2 replies

Mar 14, 2015 8:22 PM in response to SouthernAtHeart

Forgot Your Account Password

For Lion, Mountain Lion, or Mavericks

Boot to the Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

When the menubar appears select Terminal from the Utilities menu.

Enter resetpassword at the prompt and press RETURN. Follow

instructions in the dialog window that will appear.

Or see:

Reset a Mac OS X 10.7 Lion Password

OS X Mountain Lion- Reset a login password,

OS X Mavericks- Solve password problems,

OS X Lion- Apple ID can be used to reset your user account password.

How to reset Macbook password with my Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.