Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems using a La Cie Firewire 800 card in a Xserve G4

Hi!

Yesterday we build a La Cie Firewire 800 Card into a Xserve G4 (the first one). After this the Xserve booted up normaly. So I conncted a La Cie Triple Xtreme external hard drive to the card and watched the system profiler. The only thing i could see was the name of the device, but the drive was not mounted, so we tested every port of the card and another drive, but that wont help. I always saw the device name but no mounting. What can I do? Should I use another card or is there any trick?

Thanks for your help

Philip

Xserve G4, Mac OS X (10.4.8), The first one with a VGA Card

Posted on Oct 12, 2006 6:35 AM

4 replies

Oct 12, 2006 12:21 PM in response to plaetzchen

plaetzchen-

If the G4 Server ir running system 10.2.4 or later than the card should work. You might want to contact LaCie to make sure that when they say it will work in a "G4 Power Mac" they mean servers as well.

Does system profiler even show the card?

I think the card is probably bad, or you are missing some drivers, assuming it is indeed compatible.

Luck-

-DaddyPaycheck

Oct 12, 2006 4:18 PM in response to plaetzchen

We need this card to have more bandwidth for the external hard drive. The first Xserve don't have FW 800.
The System Profiler shows the card and it is marked as a firewire card, also the firewire bus is shown.
My boss say that there where any problems with the first Xserves because it contains some G5 parts. Do you something about that? Any Apple guy maybe?

Problems using a La Cie Firewire 800 card in a Xserve G4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.