Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I transfer files to iCloud from an external hard disk?

This Morning I bought 1TB on iCloud service.

I want to transfer all my files from an external hard disk, but I don't want to have all those files on my Mac.

Is it possible?

MacBook Pro with Retina display

Posted on Mar 15, 2015 2:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2015 11:13 AM

If you're referring to iCloud Drive the answer is no. iCloud Drive is for syncing files between devices logged into the same Apple ID and keeps shadowed copies on any Mac that is logged in. That way they can access the files when off line.

Any file that is uploaded to the iCloud Drive gets copied to the local iCloud Drive folder on the Mac:

User uploaded file

The iCloud Test File was uploaded from my EHD thru my browser and a copy was synced to my boot drive as you can see.

User uploaded file

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 15, 2015 11:13 AM in response to gianluca.cane

If you're referring to iCloud Drive the answer is no. iCloud Drive is for syncing files between devices logged into the same Apple ID and keeps shadowed copies on any Mac that is logged in. That way they can access the files when off line.

Any file that is uploaded to the iCloud Drive gets copied to the local iCloud Drive folder on the Mac:

User uploaded file

The iCloud Test File was uploaded from my EHD thru my browser and a copy was synced to my boot drive as you can see.

User uploaded file

Aug 1, 2015 9:08 PM in response to Csound1

An alterative would be to store them in Amazon's Web Services's S3, but:

(1) Although it's cheap to send files, it gets expensive to download them. So if the OP wants to do a lot of back and forth as opposed to simply archiving his files in the Cloud, AWS is probably not the answer.

(2) The AWS interface is daunting. Actually it's more than daunting. It's impenetrable, although there are third party solutions to help.

And alas, the OP has paid for a terabyte of iCloud.

Can I transfer files to iCloud from an external hard disk?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.