Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Design flaw in Macbook Pro late 2013?

Hi,

Looks like Macbook Pro late 2013 has a weakness, due to a design flaw. Let me explain:

My Macbook Pro late 2013 (13inch, Model: A1502) developed a dent (see attachment) and an Apple Store (Genius Bar) technician told me that this is a result of "excessive pressure" on the bottom case. He also mentioned that because the case is made of soft aluminium and it is only supported around the border (about where the screws are located), any "excessive" pressure in the middle may result into the aluminum case being damaged by the internal components; in this case the damage appears to have been caused by an internal bracket.

There is no sign of the bottom case being pushed inwards, there hasn't been any accident and I haven't stepped, or sat on, or otherwise mistreated my laptop, so I very surprised! Most of the time, it's sitting flat on a desk and only carried insider a padded pouch, inside a laptop-grade (padded) backpack! As you'll notice in the photo (and I can provide more photos, if needed), there is absolutely no other sign of damage, the curves look perfect, and the back plate is flat.

This is just a cosmetic damage and replacing the bottom case is the obvious solution but I still need to better understand the circumstances; I need to understand what went wrong and, if possible, how to prevent this from happening in the future .

I visited iFix it web site and carefully looked at the internals of the laptop, here:

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Retina+Display+Late+2013+Tea rdown/18695

It looks like the bottom base is only supported around its border. The middle of the bottom case has no backing to support it. While Apple could have designed a support structure around the battery cells and over the motherboard (logic board) and the back case, there is no support structure at all. Hence, pressing on the back of the laptop uniformly (e.g. while in a loaded backpack) will probably result to the back case being pushed inwards and, while aluminium does have some degree of elasticity, it can get damaged when hitting on a sharp object, such as an internal bracket. Hence, I guess the Apple technician is right, this is what probably happened to my laptop and I think this may have happened only in my backpack. But, how “excessive” can the pressure be on a Macbook Pro inside a high-quality, padded backpack?

If there are other MBPr users who have experienced this problem under normal everyday use, i.e. not due to an accident, could you please let me know?

I'd be grateful if Apple:

* Looked into this and provided a workaround, e.g. a more durable bottom case.

* Considered replacing our damaged cases for free.

* Published some numbers, to inform prospective customers about the durability of the laptop's case, e.g. in N/cm^2

* Took our experience into consideration when designing their new laptops.

Kind regards.

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), null

Posted on Mar 15, 2015 3:25 AM

5 replies

Mar 15, 2015 4:07 AM in response to ntsarb

As often is the case with images, I cannot discern any dents in the back of you MBP.

Let me just make this observation, backpacks are a poor place to transport a computer due to the nature of all other materials and items that are crammed into with it. It has been my observation that often backpacks, when taken on or off, are not always done in the most gentle of fashion.

Ciao.

Mar 15, 2015 4:51 AM in response to ntsarb

ntsarb wrote:

I've used the word "dent", meaning from the inside. It's a protuberance as you view it from outside.

Understood, but still the image makes it very difficult at best to discern it at best. Real life situations are often different than what images may show (or not show).

Perhaps you can post your thoughts here:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/

Ciao.

Mar 15, 2015 7:09 PM in response to ntsarb

" I need to understand what went wrong and, if possible, how to prevent this from happening in the future"

So what's underneath the area w/ the "blister"?

"It looks like the bottom base is only supported around its border. The middle of the bottom case has no backing to support it."

That's pretty much been the case w/ every MBP I've ever had apart. Nothing past 2012 however.

" While Apple could have designed a support structure around the battery cells and over the motherboard (logic board) and the back case, there is no support structure at all"

In earlier versions of the MBP there is a "separator" between two areas of the upper case but it doesn't supply any support to the bottom case.

So here's my take on this; Apple has made these MBPs thinner and thinner. In the MBPs I've taken apart 2008 - 2012. In the 2010 I have here the bottom case is very thick and judging by tapping on it is definitely tempered (or heat hardened or stress hardened). I don't have the proper caliper but the edge reads .044 Inch.

There have been other issues on these communities that relate to the thinness of the top or the bottom cases in these newer machines.

Never seen a newer machine but my feeling is judging by the issues seen around here is that the materials are much thinner and probably not as hardened or tempered.

" how “excessive” can the pressure be on a Macbook Pro inside a high-quality, padded backpack?"

To help prevent this from happening again and if this were my MBP I would use/make a hardened case just for the laptop. Say two sheets of 1/4" hardboard w/ a 1/4" separator of high density foam. Wait I'm describing a high quality laptop case.

As Ogelthorpe says, backpacks are not the most delicate way of transporting a laptop. I've seen damage worse than this to laptops, iPads, iPhones, Kindles etc. Especially at the school where I was the main tech. I would say: "What happened to this?" and the kid would say: "I dunno it was just in my backpack".

I've watched backpacks fall from shelves, get stuck in lockers and get smashed into each other in the hallway.
I'm sure you're much more delicate w/ your MBP but as the saying goes ".... happenes!"

Design flaw in Macbook Pro late 2013?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.