Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SMC Fan Control Troubleshooting

Hi!

My SMC Fan Control App was running fine until I backed up my files onto my external hard drive and then restored them back onto my Mac.

I used to never have to enter my password,and am now being asked to do so on multiple occasions.

Also,my settings aren't being saved as well.

I tried re-installing the app,resetting the Vram,deleting .plist files and preference files,but to no avail.

I've also tried downloading the App Fan Control,but ran into the following error.

User uploaded file

Any help would be much appreciated.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8), Early 2008 Model

Posted on Mar 15, 2015 4:25 AM

9 replies

Mar 16, 2015 4:09 AM in response to VirusBarrier

Remove SMC Fan Control. Apple's engineers have designed the fans to behave in a specific way, and you should not mess with that. Doing so can result in hardware damage. If your machine is overheating (ie, getting hot enough that it actually shuts down), there is a hardware problem that needs to be addressed.

As for the problem, how did you do this backup and restore? What did you restore... the whole system, or just certain folders? If the latter, which folders? The problems you describe sound like they could be the result of a permissions problem with your home folder. Note that this kind of problem would not be fixed by reinstalling the system. You can try resetting the home folder permissions by following the instructions here:

http://www.fixkb.com/2011/08/reset-home-folder-permissions.html

Mar 16, 2015 8:06 AM in response to thomas_r.

I restored the whole system.

The instructions in the link tell me to..

1. Boot from the Mac OS X Install Disc:
    1. Insert the disc.
    2. Shut down the computer.
    3. Turn it on again whilst holding down the C key.
      You can let go when you see a spinning dial.
  2. Click through the menus until you after you’ve accepted a license agreement.
  3. Snow Leopard: At the top, click Utilities -> Reset Password.
    Lion: At the top, click Utilities -> Terminal. Type resetpassword in the Terminal and press Enter.
  4. Click on your main hard drive.
  5. In the dropdown box under “Select the user account” make sure to select your username.

When I get to number 4 and I click on my main hard drive,I don't see any option to "Select the user account".

Instead,I am given the options to either Archive and install or to Erase and install.

Also,on the bottom,it says the following.

"You cannot install Mac OS X on this volume without changing your installation settings. Click Options to change settings. You cannot upgrade this version of Mac OS X because a new version is installed.

Mar 16, 2015 8:59 AM in response to VirusBarrier

VirusBarrier wrote:

I restored the whole system.

But how did you do that?

When I get to number 4 and I click on my main hard drive,I don't see any option to "Select the user account".

Instead,I am given the options to either Archive and install or to Erase and install.

You will need to follow the same procedure as for Snow Leopard from step 3. It doesn't sound like you did that. Choose Reset Password from the Utilities menu.

Mar 28, 2015 3:51 AM in response to VirusBarrier

VirusBarrier wrote:

My Western Digital Smartware software gives me the option to retrieve all of my files to their original location. I used that option.

That's not the best software to use. Western Digital drive software recently caused data loss for many people following an OS X upgrade. I don't recommend using their software.

For backups, you should maintain a minimum of two separate backups, made with two different programs ideally. Time Machine makes an excellent alternative for one of those, and is already built into the system. Something like Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper is an excellent complement to that, making a very different kind of backup. My personal strategy is to use Time Machine to back up to a Time Capsule, and to use Carbon Copy Cloner to maintain a pair of clone backups on portable hard drives, one of which is always in a safe deposit box at the bank and which get rotated at least once per month.

SMC Fan Control Troubleshooting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.