Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade advice - looking for a stopgap MacPro

Retiring my MacPro 1,1 4-core to 4,1 or 5,1..

Doing this in part now because Lion isn't supported by security updates anymore... and that's as far as I can go with the 1,1.

Ideally, I'd get a new Cylinder 6-core 2013 MacPro with 32G and 1TB SSD.... but are looking for a stopgap MacPro until I have $5000+ to burn on that config, plus waiting for a new MacPro refresh to iron out any bugs in the initial 2013 model.

so in the $1100 - 1500 range since I'll replace it within a couple years with a new one.

My MacPro1,1 (12G with slightly newer main 1TB and time machine 3T drives from Apple in the sleds (revision 2.0) with Radeon 5770 added for compatibility.)

While I have more recent versions of CC and FCP... my highest demand is running high end IBM and SPSS analytics software under Parallels/Windows 7... so 6 or 8 cores would be best used to allocate half those cores to the Parallels VM... to allow good speed on both Mac and VM. Right now I have to give 2 cores and 6G to each.

I need to run FIleVault2 on all drives. And I'd be running Yosemite (for compatibility reasons with apps).

I'm looking at the OWC machines... 2009 or 2010... upgrading to at least 16G ram... I can move my 5770 over... and move my 3TB over for TimeMachine.

4-core, 6-core or 8-core... looks like OWC sometimes takes 4-core models and places an 6-core or 8-core single processor into them (otherwise the model numbers and Ghz don't make sense)

Is the 2010 vs 2009 really a huge performance upgrade on system architecture?

Is the DDR 1066 vs 1333 only governed by the processor (4/8 vs 6/12 cores).... or are their system bus limits on 2009 vs 2010?

Is the fact that 2009 uses 32bit or 64bit kernel, and 2010 uses 64bit kernel by default... affect compatibility going forward?

( Mac OS X v10.6: Compatibility with the 64-bit kernel - Apple Support )... although I'm going to 10.10.

As I do need to run FileVault on all drives....

...I'm concerned about adding OWD SSD's (SATA or PCIe)... and their bundles are all 240G SSDs, and I'd rather use 480G (but OWC doesn't let you upgrade the difference in bundle, you have to buy a new drive... so if even done it would be a non-SSD used bundled with SSD added).

As this is a stopgap before purchasing a "new" MacPro within a couple years... I'd think a SSD may be pushing up the price (plus power and heat) too much. Plus the filevault2 concern with a non-Apple SSD.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts...

Tony

<Re-Titled By Host>

Posted on Mar 15, 2015 8:24 AM

28 replies

Mar 15, 2015 9:26 AM in response to fausttiger

Is the 2010 vs 2009 really a huge performance upgrade on system architecture?

The real "knee in the curve" is between the 2008 and 2009 models. 2009 and later have vastly improved memory architecture and add hardware Multi-Threading, which gives you additional processing power. (In processor testing, muti-threading typically provides the equivalent of an additional 1/3 to 1/2 processor for each nominal processor in the machine.)

The hatter says the PCIe bus is slightly different between the 2009 and 2010 models, but this is not an issue for most users.

Is the DDR 1066 vs 1333 only governed by the processor (4/8 vs 6/12 cores).... or are their system bus limits on 2009 vs 2010?

That is gated by the 5,1 firmware PLUS the Bus loading. If you run the 5,1 firmware (not supported but doable on the 4,1 with a hack) you have the potential to run 1333 memory at speed. Whether it runs at full speed depends on the processor configuration. (The details elude me at the moment but my recollection is that the 6-core and 12-core processors cannot use it at top speed.)

32bit or 64bit kernel

That is what dead-ends the 2006 and 2007 models at 10.7

SSD drives

You can install more than one, or you can use one as a spare, or you can place one in an external enclosure.

I'd think a SSD may be pushing up the price (plus power and heat) too much

SSD drives run MUCH cooler and draw far less power.

Some method for eliminating deleted blocks from SSD drives should be applied from time-to-time. TRIM Enabler was popular, and did it on the spot, but it is becoming harder to use in 10.9.5 or later.

If you keep a separate Boot Drive, its data changes so slowly that deleted block elimination is barely needed.

Data drives on SSDs turn over data more frequently, so some deleted data scheme is recommended. There is not a clear solution in this category. Some Users suggest keeping an older System drive on hand (10.6.8 or later up to 10.9.4) and install TRIM Enabler on that to be used for weekly or monthly Disk Utility (Repair Disk) runs to eliminate deleted data and regain SSD speed.

Mar 15, 2015 9:53 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

> (The details elude me at the moment but my recollection is that the 6-core and 12-core processors cannot use it at top speed.)

From OWC ram specs... 1333 used by 6-core or 12-core (which is just 2 6-cores)... 1066 used by 4/8-core machines

I'd rather do an actual 4,1 or 5,1... rather than a firmware upgrade with any compatibility wrinkles down the road.

32bit or 64bit kernel

> That is what dead-ends the 2006 and 2007 models at 10.7

Yes, the 32bit only EFI killed my 1,1 update past lion.

However, my question intent was: for 2009... 32bit kernel boot is Default but the system can be booted into 64bit... and for 2010, 64bit is the default kernel boot.

SSD drives

And my additional wrinkle is Firevault2 on everything... including SSD.

(I wonder what Apple does on its own SSD drives, which tend to be OS and Data for most people... so they don't slow down over time)

Mar 15, 2015 10:57 AM in response to fausttiger

However, my question intent was: for 2009... 32bit kernel boot is Default but the system can be booted into 64bit... and for 2010, 64bit is the default kernel boot.

32-bit kernel or 64-bit kernel does not depend on the Processor or Model, except as noted earlier with the firmware in the 2006 and 2007 models.

10.6.8 boots in 32 or 64 -bit kernel modes. 10.7 prefers 64, but will boot in 32 if your Mac cannot boot in 64, or if you explicitly set it that way.

10.8 does not even include the code to boot in 32-bit kernel mode, but it can run 32-bit Apps just fine. If you launch one of those it will execute normally without error messages. Later Mac OS X also does not contain the code to boot in 32-bit kernel mode.

--------

10.9.5 and later, and especially 10.10.x are prepared for you to FileVault absolutely everything. There is a one-time conversion at the outset that you must endure a few hours of encryption before serious first use. On the Mac Pro, there are Xeon instructions that make the computations for encryption reasonably fast, so no worries. Some older processors do not have those instructions, and everything there will be s-l-o-w.

Mar 15, 2015 11:29 AM in response to fausttiger

>>(I wonder what Apple does on its own SSD drives, which tend to be OS and Data for most people... so they don't slow down over time)<<

Apple allows Mac OS X to use built-in TRIM. The TRIM Enabler utility added later modifies a Mac OS X kernel extension to nullify the distinction between Apple and "other".

Since 10.9.5, Apple has introduced kernel extension signing. This makes it impossible to use TRIM Enabler without turning OFF kernel extension signing, and makes the whole issue of top performance with Third-Party SSDs turn ugly.

Mar 15, 2015 12:17 PM in response to fausttiger

Fausttiger,

Per Grant's and other guidance and recs from this board, I upgraded from from my old 1,1,to the 4,1, which seems well suited for my type of usage. ESPECIALLY THE PRICE!

I bought a 2009 MacPro 4.1 core, 3.33Mhz, 12mg 1066 Mhz ram, from OWC for about $850. added some used OWC ram for $40.

Running OSX 10.8.5 with two 120Gb SSDs, and CCClone 1TB HDD/600MB HDD backup system

Am assuming that I'm running 64 bit kernel mode because I'm running Mountain Lion OSX...(Right, Grant?)

Moved my 5770 over to new (for me!) and am also using a NVIDIA GeForce GT 120, to drive three 23" Cinema displays.

Have another GT 120 board and another Cinema Display, but have not yet installed it.

Its a general purpose computer and I don't game, edit vids, or render big stuff.

But everything is FASTER...especially 'old sluggos' MS2011 for Mac Excel and Word. Browser refresh is very snappy. Boot is faster. Saves are faster. Big C&Ps are faster.

Am quite happy with the upgrade from my old 1,1. Very cost effective move. Will probably use this computer for 4+ years, minimum, and then move to a used 6,1 - 6 core dual GPU 3.5 or 3.7, when they start selling for under a grand...😁

------

Yikes!!

My first Macintosh SE ('86 or '87) had 2Mb ram, a 20 Mb HD and a 800K floppy. $2500+. I think I got a "Fat Mac" upgrade for it.

If I remember correctly, some apps required as many as 12-16 floppies to load, one at a time.😮

That was almost 30 years ago, when I was a mere lad of 43...

Wish I still had it...and the computer, too...

John

Apr 8, 2015 9:32 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I think my options boil down to:

- 2009 Quad 2.93Ghz with 24G (3x8G or 6x4G for triple channel mode) is probably the cheapest option.

- 2009 Eight approaches Hex 2010 costs and probably is slower, so not going there.

* 2010 Hex 3.33Ghz with 24G (3x8G) is probably my sweet spot performance/costwise.... although probably 40% more than the 2009 Quad.

2009's have ATI 120... which I can swap in my existing ATI 5770.

2010's have mostly ATI 5770 which I don't need as I have one. If it has 5870 all the better, but rarely seen.

Ideally, I'd probably use any 5770/5870 for a deduction on a new 5950 Mac Edition (don't want Flashed PC card)

No doing SSD, because unless it's Apple, don't want to deal with the Kernel signing / Trim issues. Want a rock steady machine... including firevault2.

Not looking to use Firmware flashed (4,1 to 5,1) ...

or non-standard CPU upgrades (3.33G to 3.46G) as I don't want heat issues if I upgrade graphics (7950, etc), depending on how good/bad an CPU upgrade the prior owner did. But are aiming for the fastest Apple CTO CPU options, for fastest but most compatible speed... when cost effective. Don't want 2.26Ghz processors, etc...

Any thoughts on using vendors like OWC (instead of craigslist/ebay) which at least offer some warranty, and have less risk than buying from a private owner (if misrepresented, has unreported problems, or did some bad upgrade/flash procedure) ? I know OWC has higher cost... but I can double the 90 day warranty by using my Amex and no restocking fee like some.

I see a lot of Firmware upgrades 4,1 to 5,1 which I'm wary of (if they report it). I know a 2009 / 2010 / 2010 are similar, but for compatibility want to be careful of non-standard tweaks... and newer motherboard/computer still means less wear and tear from time/heat.

- Tony

Apr 8, 2015 3:34 PM in response to fausttiger

In the 2009 models and later, The Processor and memory moves to the removable slide-out shelf, and there are two distinct Processor shelves. The single-chip processor shelf has four RAM sockets. The dual-chip processor shelf has eight. Triple-channel is optimal, but the penalty for two or four modules is very small.

The price of 8GB DIMMs is so close to the price of two 4GB DIMMS that I recommend you never pay money for a 4GB (or smaller) DIMMs. Remember that 16GB DIMMS are registered DIMMs, and will not 'play nice with others'.

Apr 8, 2015 3:36 PM in response to fausttiger

fausttiger wrote:

Retiring my MacPro 1,1 4-core to 4,1 or 5,1..

Doing this in part now because Lion isn't supported by security updates anymore... and that's as far as I can go with the 1,1.

This isn't the answer you're looking for, but I am still running a Mac Pro 1,1 because I used the commonly available techniques to upgrade it to Mavericks. It's never been faster. Some now have this model running on Yosemite.

But I know you need to upgrade for other reasons. Although I maxed out the RAM for cheap on my MP 1,1 it is still held back by the CPUs and various buses. At least I put a new GPU in it...

Apr 9, 2015 1:51 PM in response to fausttiger

There can be so much multi-processing and memory caching going on that numbers that small may not be readily observable. Some folks who tested RAM performance with special memory testing suites saw numbers slightly higher. But when they did real-world tests, they said, "don't worry about it, you will never see it."

So my take is: buy the denser (8GB if that's what you will need) DIMMs, and if you only need two, then later when you plug in the third it will speed up a little, and if you have to add the fourth it will not slow down by much.

Jul 1, 2015 11:44 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Looking at a 3.33Mhz 6-core Mac Pro ... 2010 or 2012... (not flashed).

Primary question is 2010 vs 2012 chassis?

is an extra $300 for the 2012 really worth it? in terms of wear and tear on the power supply, slots, ports, etc... Would be placing 3x8G =24G Triple channel.. and 5770 or 5870. I know 2010 and 2012 is almost the same, just thinking about one being 2 years older. $300 buys RAM and 5870 upgrade.

OS

I have to run Yosemite (and eventually El Capitan)

Cores

I did note that a 2012 quad 3.2Mhz doesn't appear to support the AES encryption instructions (for faster Filevault2)... but 6-core xeon does.. plus using extra cores for running VM's with high end analytics in Windows or Linux. Plus 6 cores has faster Ram.

Storage

Will use 1TB with replacement machine, and pull my 3TB volume for TimeMachine from MacPro1,1 (that drive is a newer one than original)

Not putting in SSD because I need to run Yosemite... and new Mac pro is 3x plus.... in a perfect world I'd place a 1TB SSD in new Mac, but saving $$$ for now and don't want to mess with trim/issues in Yosemite (and need Filevault and reliable drive)

Thanks!

Upgrade advice - looking for a stopgap MacPro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.