Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto photos to Macbook Pro

I purchased a Macbook Pro and want to transfer all my photos from iPhoto in my old Macbook Pro. What is the best way so I won't lose Faces?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Mar 15, 2015 10:35 AM

2 replies

Mar 15, 2015 10:58 AM in response to sarasotasara

You can simply copy the iPhoto Library (which is typically in the Pictures folder in Finder). More information quoted below from https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202910

Place your iPhoto library into the Photos folder on your new Mac. iPhoto should automatically recognize it when you open it. If not, you may need to upgrade your library first.

Mar 15, 2015 11:21 AM in response to sarasotasara

Copy the iPhoto Library to your new Mac, as FoxFifth recommended. Just a few additional notes:

Before you copy it, run the iPhoto Library First Aid tools on the library and repair it (iPhoto 6 and later: Rebuilding the iPhoto library). That will ensure, that the library does not have any glitches, when it will be updated to the new iPhoto version on your new Mac.

Which version of iPhoto do you have on your old Mac? If it is iPhoto 7.x.x or earlier, you will need to run the iPhoto Library Upgrader on the library, before you can open it on the new Mac.

And if the usernames differ on both Macs, you may encounter permission problems. In that case copy the library to an external drive and then connect this drive to your new Mac. This way, you can transfer the data with the "Ignore Ownership" flag enabled, see: iPhoto: Sharing libraries among multiple users

iPhoto photos to Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.