Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to transfer settings from older Time Capsule to new Time Capsule

I have an older Apple Time Capsule and am purchasing a new Apple Time Capsule. Is there some way to transfer the settings (IPs, passwords, etc...) from the older model to the new one?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), i7 Intel,16GB/1T + SSD /Office 2008

Posted on Mar 15, 2015 11:31 AM

7 replies

Mar 20, 2015 11:11 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks Bob, I have another question, it that's ok. I was following this thread of ours when I ended up on a similar, if not the same discussion about single band and dual band TCs. I just realized that discussion, was in 2011. I have an older dual band TC and want to add the new TC. After I update the information on the new TC following your instruction using the Airport Utility, can I unplug the second, newer TC, move it to another room and plug it in to another RG45 plug? Can I set up a separate network for the newer TC? I tried this with an old Airport (the round one) for one computer and the TC on my main computer. When I had them on the same network, my main IMAC was real slow, both on WI-FI and plugged-in. When I created a separate network for the older IMAC and router, the main IMAC was faster. I had just changed the network name and router IP address on the older Airport to change the network. I really had no idea what I was doing. But it worked. The older IMAC and the original router are now a paperweights. But plan on putting this computer on the older TC and putting a new IMAC on the new TC and still be able to stream video to a TV and such. I guess the question is, if I connect a second new TC anywhere else on the network (within the same house) will I be able have higher speeds on both. Does this make sense?

Mar 20, 2015 11:56 AM in response to tim01

After I update the information on the new TC following your instruction using the Airport Utility, can I unplug the second, newer TC, move it to another room and plug it in to another RG45 plug?

Yes. When you transfer the settings, AirPort Utility will reset the old TC back to factory default settings, so it can be set up anyway that you want.

Can I set up a separate network for the newer TC?

The newer TC will have the same network name and password as the old TC, since you are asking about transferring settings from the old TC to the new TC.

Use the setup wizard on the old TC to set it up to extend the network from the new TC. Both TCs will operate at their maximum speeds this way, and you won't have to change networks when you move a device from one area near one TC to another area near the other TC.

You can have each TC provide its own network name if you want, but you'll have to change networks whenever you move a device from one area to another. That's quite a hassle for most users who don't want to have to log off of one network and log onto another when they move a device from one area to another.

Get the new TC setup and working first, then we'll tackle the older TC setup.

Mar 28, 2015 5:03 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks again. I have the new Time Capsule now and will go through your setup instructions today. First, to transfer settings from my previous TC to the new TC, do I plug the new TC (via WAN) into one of the network ports of my older TC? Then run the setup? I believe I read somewhere here that will reset my older TC? So to extend my network (Bridge) I setup the older TC to match the new TC (does this happen automatically?), then move the new TC to another part of the house (TV/Video room)? Plug the new TC into an RJ45 port to complete the network?

That little manual that came with the new TC does not go into transferring settings or anything like that. So I have to ask the questions. Also I see allot of attachments on the blog showing TC/Airport Extreme settings. I really don't know what the IPv4 and IPv6 do. I currently have a double NAT setup on my old TC. Probably happened when I was using VMWARE or Parallels. Don't have that anymore. I really don't understand the way my current TC is setup. It seems to have been working fine the past few years.

Mar 28, 2015 6:05 AM in response to tim01

do I plug the new TC (via WAN) into one of the network ports of my older TC? Then run the setup?

That is correct

I believe I read somewhere here that will reset my older TC?

That is correct, back to factory default settings

So to extend my network (Bridge) I setup the older TC to match the new TC (does this happen automatically?)

No, that is a separate setup that will need to be done. Concentrate on getting the new TC set up and working, then post back. Apple says that you can run a Double NAT setup, and that might be true, but generally I try to avoid errors on the network, rather than ignore them. You can decide what you want to do in that regard.

How to transfer settings from older Time Capsule to new Time Capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.