Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari Virus Infected Mac Alert-Is it Legitimate or a Scam?

When I opened Safari today (iMac with Yosemite) I received a macsecurity alert that warmed me that the last website I visited infected my Mac with a virus "Tapsnake". It then lead me to MacKeeper to install something free to remove the virus. I did not do that but was wondering if it is a SCAM or an legitimate warning from Safari. I am running a virus scan now on my computer- any one else had any warnings from safari similar to this? Thanks

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 15, 2015 2:42 PM

10 replies

Mar 15, 2015 6:11 PM in response to machiker

This is a very common scam. You are not infected with anything, it's just a bad website. Avoid whatever site ended up redirecting you there. I'm assuming you didn't call any phone number the pop-up gave you or install anything the pop-up told you to install...?

What anti-virus software are you using for the scan? Chances are good that it's one that you shouldn't have installed, and that is more likely to cause you more problems in the future.

Mar 26, 2015 4:59 PM in response to thomas_r.

Thanks Stedman1 and thomas-

I did not download anything from MacKeeper. It concerns me that the warning came from what appeared to be Safari security. How it got "hijacked" and redirected to Mackeeper I do not understand. I have an older macbook still using SL and that never occurred on that, only this new Yosemite. I downloaded the ClamAXv to check for any virus, but based on your replies, I am comfortable that all is well. Thanks, MacHiker

Apr 1, 2015 7:35 AM in response to ddrfrommurray river

They could have left behind software that could allow them to remotely access your computer.

Boot to the Recovery Volume (command - R on a restart or hold down the option/alt key during a restart and select Recovery Volume) or if your OS is 10.6 or earlier, boot off the DVD . Run Disk Utility Verify/Repair and Repair Permissions until you get no errors. Reformat the drive using Disk Utility/Erase Mac OS Extended (Journaled), then click the Option button and select GUID. Then re-install the OS.

OS X Recovery (2)

When you reboot, use Setup Assistant to restore your data from your backup that pre-dates the telephone call

Mar 8, 2016 3:00 PM in response to machiker

Unfortunately, I'm writing this to confirm that the scam is alive and well out there. Luckily, I came here before taking any action- I follower the steps below to resolve the issue on my Macbook.

Force quit Safari. Press Command ⌘ + option + esc, select Safari, press Force Quit. While holding the 'shift' key, click the Safari icon in the dock to relaunch it. If this doesn't work, disconnect from the Internet and then relaunch Safari normally. This should prevent the malicious webpage from reloading, and should give you access to the menu bar.

Once the menu bar is accessible again, go to Safari > Preferences, or press Command ⌘ and the , (comma) key. Go to the Advanced tab. Click the check box to enable the Develop menu. Then go to Develop > Disable JavaScript.

Safari Virus Infected Mac Alert-Is it Legitimate or a Scam?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.