Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The iPad cannot be synced because there is not enough free space to hold all of the items in the iTunes librar

Hi,

I know similar cases were posted here but I did not find something that matched my case:

Here is the message I got:

The iPad cannot be synced because there is not enough free space to hold all of the items in the iTunes library (1 MB required, 4.29 GB available).

Obviously I have 1M space if I have 4.29GB of space.

I do not have any music or photos

I just updated the current apps I have and did an synced several new apps with a total of about 500M (which is far less then the free ~4GB I have)

Any ideas how to solve this?

Thank you

iPad Mini, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Mar 15, 2015 2:06 PM

4 replies

Mar 15, 2015 2:37 PM in response to ycyclop

You have seem similar instances of this, but have you tried anything suggested in those discussions? I would quit ITunes, reboot your computer, reset the iPad and then try again. I would also close all apps on the iPad before resetting the device. When you try the sync again, use a different USB port on your computer.

I Know this seems to be an no brainer, but make sure that you didn't accidentally select more content to sync than the iPad can hold

In order to close apps, you have to drag the app up from the multitasking display. Double tap the home button and you will see apps lined up going left to right across the screen. Swipe to get to the app that you want to close and then swipe "up" on the app preview thumbnail to close it.

In order to reset your iPad, hold down on the sleep and home buttons at the same time for about 10-15 seconds until the Apple logo appears on the screen after which time you can release the buttons and let the iPad start up.

Mar 15, 2015 2:51 PM in response to Demo

Hi,

I tried the following

- quitting iTunes

- hard turn off iPad (reset iPas as you call it)

- close all the application on iPad

All of those did not help

However I just now managed to solve it doing the following:

I removed extra 500M of application from my iPad. then iTunes managed to sync 33 applications after which I had 4.8GB of free memory.

I guess that for some reason due to the large amount of application iTune needed the entire memory of the iPad and then some more and then released it but but does not know how to convey that information correctly to the user.

The iPad cannot be synced because there is not enough free space to hold all of the items in the iTunes librar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.