Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use a late 2009 iMac as a second monitor for a 5k imac

i have just purchased a 5k iMac and have a late 2009 iMac. I have connected them with a thunderbolt to thunderbolt cable, started the older mac in target mode but only get a FireWire symbol moving about on the screen. Any ideas? I have a 30" Cinema Display that acted as my second monitor to the 2009 iMac. I was hoping to enact a similar set up with the two iMacs.

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Mar 15, 2015 3:24 PM

13 replies

Mar 19, 2015 4:50 PM in response to bpsArch

You're starting in Target Disk Mode not Target Display Mode. Follow these instructions:

• Make sure both computers are turned on and awake. (This is where you're going wrong)
  • Connect a male-to-male Mini DisplayPort or ThunderBolt cable to each computer.
  • Press Command-F2 on the keyboard of the iMac being used as a display to enable TDM.
  • Note: In Keyboard System Preferences, if the checkbox is enabled for "Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard functions keys," the key combination changes to Command-Fn-F2.

Can I use a late 2009 iMac as a second monitor for a 5k imac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.