Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I record the audio from a cassette player (portable) into my Mac Mini 2012?

I have several old cassette tapes that I'd like to digitize. Can I do that by playing the tapes on a portable cassette player plugged into the audio in port on the back of my 2012 Mac Mini? If I can, what plug do I need, a simple stereo (ground, left, right) mini plug? Do I need a pre-amp? What software should I use?

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), Mac mini server

Posted on Mar 15, 2015 4:22 PM

4 replies

Mar 16, 2015 6:24 PM in response to Dougal Mac

I have several old cassette tapes that I'd like to digitize. Can I do that by playing the tapes on a portable cassette player plugged into the audio in port on the back of my 2012 Mac Mini? If I can, what plug do I need, a simple stereo (ground, left, right) mini plug? Do I need a pre-amp?

Yes, the audio input on your MacMini is stereo and line level. (It is not a Mic input.) You need a stereo miniature phono plug (3.5 mm) on the end that goes into the MacMini. You do not need a pre-amp.

As far as software goes, you can try 3rd party software, like: http://audacity.sourceforge.net

or

Just use Quicktime:

User uploaded file

Can I record the audio from a cassette player (portable) into my Mac Mini 2012?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.