Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail does not work with gmail accounts anymore

Since yesterday or so, my google mail accounts don't connect anymore. All of them. All other accounts are still working.

- Connection doctor tells me the standard "couldn't connect, check if its really port 993 blah" thing.

- I'm on 10.9.5

- I tried remove one of the accounts under Internet Accounts and "re install" it, which worked partially: Internet Accounts accepted the google password, and added the account. I ticket Emails. It reappeared in Mail, but still with connection issues (and now no emails what-so-ever associated with that account).

What can I do next?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Mar 15, 2015 6:50 PM

9 replies

Mar 16, 2015 6:32 AM in response to eXcuvator

Have you checked your incoming and outgoing mail server settings?

If you are using IMAP, it should look something like the following:

• Incoming Mail (IMAP) Server - Requires SSL
    • imap.gmail.com
    • Port: 993
    • Requires SSL:Yes
  • Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server - Requires TLS
    • smtp.gmail.com
    • Port: 465 or 587
    • Requires SSL: Yes
    • Requires authentication: Yes
    • Use same settings as incoming mail server

If you are using POP3, it should look something like the following:

Incoming mail server type: POP3

Incoming mail (POP3 or IMAP) server: pop.gmail.com. Google Apps users, enter the server name provided, don't add your domain name in these steps.

Port: 995

Outgoing e-mail server (SMTP) name: smtp.gmail.com

Port: 465

Outgoing server requires authentication: enabled

Mar 28, 2015 2:12 PM in response to eXcuvator

I have checked disk permissions, reset Mail (deleted all the folders in ~Library) and added the accounts again.

Again, only the google mail accounts resist my efforts. Here's log files from the connection doctor. I attempted to remove SSL from one of them, which also didn't help my case. The logs are kind of useless, they don't even yield error messages:

INITIATING CONNECTION Mar 28 17:08:02.778 host:imap.gmail.com -- port:993 -- socket:0x0 -- thread:0x608000e672c0

INITIATING CONNECTION Mar 28 17:08:31.901 host:imap.gmail.com -- port:143 -- socket:0x0 -- thread:0x608001473e80

and similar for smtp and the other google mail account. Changing the address from gmail.com to googlemail.com also was futile.

Mail does not work with gmail accounts anymore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.