Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Locked out of Mac after Apple id update

I Changed my apple id, user & password on my phone and now I am locked out of mac air

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Mar 15, 2015 9:01 PM

3 replies

Mar 15, 2015 9:07 PM in response to Betsy0208

Betsy0208 wrote:

I Changed my apple id, user & password on my phone and now I am locked out of mac air

Please visit the guide below for more information.

OS X Mavericks: Reset a login password

If you are unable to reset your password with the methods from the guide, you may reset a password with the following steps.

1. Power on your computer holding down the Command and R keys. This will allow you to access OS X Recovery.

2. Select Utilities at the top bar and then Terminal.

3. In the Terminal window, type resetpassword and the password reset tool will appear.

4. Select your hard drive and user account. Enter a new password, verify the password, and save.

5. Restart your computer and sign into your account with the new credentials. You may receive a prompt update your keychain password. Since you do not know your password, select Create New Keychain.

Oct 6, 2015 3:39 PM in response to Betsy0208

I had the same problem but mine was even worse: my old apple ID was linked to the e-mail that is defunct.

Solution:

1. Log in to My Apple ID https://appleid.apple.com/account/manage

2. Click Edit next to your primary email address and change it back to the old one.

3. It will ask you to verify your new(old) email address. You can ignore this step (if the old email is defunct you have to ignore it anyway)

4. Log into your Macbook with the old password. If you don't remember the old password you should reset it in MyApple ID at this point. In that case you need to complete step 3 and if your email is defunct you may be screwed. Luckily I remembered my old pwd.

5. Once you log in go to Settings -> iCloud and sign out of your current (old) account (this will ask you a bunch of questions about deleting local copies on your Mac - it is safe to do so because you will relink these once you have a new account).

6. Under iCloud, create a new account using new email and update which apps you want to sync through iCloud

I highly recommend that you go to Settings -> Users&Groups and unlink your MacBook login password from the iCloud pasword so that this doesn't happen again .

I hope that helps!

Locked out of Mac after Apple id update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.