Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot save web pages properly.

Cannot save web pages properly. If saved to Documents they cannot be opened by Pages. If saved to Reading list they usually show error sign. Does this mean the web page has expired? Anyway if they are readable in Reading list I need to be online for them to show up.

Since I need to sync these web pages with iPad the only way I can do this is to Export as PDF and then sync. But this is no good for long articles with pictures.

Any advice appreciated

onepangolin

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Mar 16, 2015 4:57 AM

4 replies

Mar 18, 2015 10:38 AM in response to onepangolin

Greetings onepangolin,

It sounds like you want to save web pages on your iPad for offline viewing but you discover those sites on your MacBook.

Note iOS has its own reading list.

Add a page to your Reading List and come back to it later - Apple Support

To add a webpage to your Reading List, tap User uploaded file then tap Add to Reading List. Safari will save the link and the webpage so you can read it, even when you're offline.

To view your Reading List, tap User uploaded file and then tap User uploaded file. To delete an item from your Reading List, swipe left across the item, then tap Delete.

To get the URLs to your iPad you might want to sync them with iTunes or via iCloud.

iPhone: Using Bookmarks

(works with iPad)

Get help using iCloud Bookmarks and Reading List - Apple Support

Best,

Nubz

Mar 19, 2015 2:52 AM in response to Nubz N.

Hi Nubz N

Many thanks for the reply. Yes, you are right. I do most of the research on the Mac and then transfer to iPad. Adding web pages to Reading list either on Mac or iPad is ok but I cannot always read them offline. For travel docs this is annoying but now I take a screen shot if its something like a Boarding pass. It seems that some web pages have a 'life' and cannot be accessed after a certain time. This has happened to me with Boarding passes before I got into the screen shots.

The other point is that if I right click a web page on the Mac and save in Documents it is also not always available. Sometimes yes but not always. At one stage I was saving these articles in Pages and then syncing them to iPad. They appeared on the iPad but could not be opened. These are usually say Travel articles that I want to keep both on the Mac and the iPad. Should I be saving them as PDF?

Its puzzling to me why it should be difficult to save a web page, having migrated from PCs where its dead simple and always available.

ABT

onepangolin

Mar 19, 2015 6:34 AM in response to onepangolin

Hi onepangolin,

Yes, there do seem to be a lot of web pages that are time limited. I would think transaction based pages have a time out like you say, boarding passes, bank activities, etc.

Your idea of saving to PDF is one I would try. I save a lot of PDFs in iBooks on the iPad.

OS X Yosemite: Save a document as a PDF

Basically print, but Save as PDF instead in the Print dialog box.

For ease I email them to myself then "Open In" iBooks. For one offs it's quicker than a sync.

Take care,

Nubz

Cannot save web pages properly.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.