Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Voice dictation NOT WORKING in 8.2 upgrage

The voice-to-text in iMessage, SMS and What's App has stopped working properly. The dictation stops after only a half-dozen or so words spoken. Very frustrating. In fact, it happened on my iPhone 5 when I upgraded to 8.2. Two weeks later, I changed to an iPhone 6 and with the 8.2 upgrade, and it's STILL happening. It's 8.2.

Tell me I'm not the only one having this problem!!

iPhone 6, iOS 8.2

Posted on Mar 16, 2015 6:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2015 4:37 PM

I am having the same problem. All was well until a few days ago when I downloaded the new upgrade. From what I see at other posts in related problems its a universal problem on apple servers.

20 replies

Mar 21, 2015 7:23 AM in response to talkradiojoe

I'm having the same problem on iPhone 6 after the 8.2 upgrade in dictation is not working in SMS or anywhere else. The slight difference on mine is when I press the microphone dictation button and start speaking the voice frequency wave doesn't seem to sense my voice in that the wave does not respond to sound. It could be my mic isn't working with dictation? I can make phone calls.

I have an urgent need for dictation to work. Please provide fix. I already turned phone off/on, hard reset, turned dictation off/on, reset all settings, and finally restored from backup overnight. Nothing worked.

Mar 24, 2015 7:15 AM in response to talkradiojoe

This is not only a problem with the iPhone but also with the iPad. You have three choices: you can dictate and when you are done, and the text is gone, you hit the number (123) button in the lower left corner, which brings the UNDO key back, and you click on that (which brings your text back) OR you can dictate into a page/text/email document, and "cut and paste", OR USE THE MERCURY BROWSER, which doesn't have that problem.

I haven't seen any posts for the iPad issue but for what it's worth, those are my solutions (after speaking with Apple support. They wanted me to back up my iPad contents to my desktop PC, and completely reinstall, including 8.2, since I did MY update to wirelessly. BTW, it may STILL have the bug in it anyway and I've wasted three hours.)

THANKS FOR "undo" TIP AND you MAY need to use the 123 key on your iPad to get there.

Mar 24, 2015 10:08 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

I tried that, my voice memos work, I can make phone calls, it just seems like my microphone does not work for dictation any longer

On my iPad on the other hand, after I finish dictation all of the words that were dictated delete after I press done. What I do is shake the device, click undo, and all the text reappears.

Two separate bugs on two diffedent devices. Extremely annoying and the first issue I've ever had with any Apple device in 7 years. Please issue a patch asap!

Mar 25, 2015 7:01 AM in response to Apple Fan 90405

Apple Fan 90405 wrote:

Two separate bugs on two diffedent devices. Extremely annoying and the first issue I've ever had with any Apple device in 7 years. Please issue a patch asap!

A) Issuing patches is outside of the pervue of anyone here. B) Given that this is not a ubiquitous issue, it is more likely a problem with your phone, either hardware or some combination of software issues, not the sort of thing that is solved by a patch.

You said you restored from a back up. It sounds as if it's time to restore as new. Do not add any third party apps. Test. If it works, start adding your apps back a couple at a time. If one of them is the culprit, this will enable you to determine which one more easily. If it still doesn't work after restoring as new, make an appointment at the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store.

Best of luck.

Apr 10, 2015 5:34 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

I don't have a screen protector, but I do have a case for my iPhone 6; as soon as I removed the phone from the case, the problem (dictation accepting only a few words then shutting off) disappeared.

Or did it? For the OS's Messages, it's gone. But now it's gone whether the phone is in the case or out of the case. So what about removing the phone from the case and putting it back in did anything? Don't know!

But, in the meanwhile, dictation in WhatsApp has the same problem, phone in case or out of case: dictation stops after a few words.

Voice dictation NOT WORKING in 8.2 upgrage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.