Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can someone help me? when i create my movies in i DVD from Final Cut Express, i end up with a large black frame around my film, in other words it does not fill the whole Television screen, albeit the i DVD opening title always does.

I have been filming weddings on a Sony Z1 camera set to DVcam 50i, and then i import the footage to Final Cut Express using DV-PAL firewire basic, then use capture now. All is well and i then merrily edit, add AIFF music, create Live Type titles, have overlays etc... and the length of the footage is around 75 minutes.

When i export my project i use quick time movie and again all is well. i then open i DVD and create a project, add my film and burn a DVD.

When i watch my work on a TV it does not fill the screen, in fact i would day that a good 20% is missing on the top, bottom, right and left sides of the movie.

My camera settings are OK as i have checked with Sony, and even if i playback the footage direct from the camera to the TV it fills the screen.

Am i missing some setting? I have tried creating the movie with and without anamorphic ticks and the result is always the same.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011)

Posted on Mar 16, 2015 6:31 AM

3 replies

Mar 16, 2015 5:11 PM in response to Taff Williams

Check your iDVD project. Open your project, navigate to Project > Project Info. Based on your description of your footage, this should be set to Standard 4:3. If it's Widescreen 16:9 that would explain your black borders. You should be able to change (correct) this in an existing project by selecting the correct aspect ratio and burning a new DVD.

Mar 17, 2015 12:59 AM in response to MartinR

Hi MartinR

Thank you for your reply, i have tried what you suggest, and it did not work, the i DVD opening title changed but not the embedded movie.

Perhaps it is a setting in Final Cut Express?

After capturing my footage, i open a new project then i convert all clips to anamorphic, to give me the letterbox effect, i have tried now with and without anamorphic.

In my canvas screen, the footage does not fill the square, even if i have not selected anamorphic, and fall well within the TV safe areas, but the only way to ill the canvas up is to crop it bigger, but still when i export it does not give me the full screen view.

Any ideas?

Can someone help me? when i create my movies in i DVD from Final Cut Express, i end up with a large black frame around my film, in other words it does not fill the whole Television screen, albeit the i DVD opening title always does.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.