Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yosemite upgrades with os x server

Hi everyone!

I recently started working as a System Admin at a School District and I need to upgrade almost 200 MBS's to OS X 10.10 Yosemite from OS X 10.8 and 10.9.

Previously they were not managed by any kind of server or central management. All previous OS upgrades were done manually.

I have now OSX Server (Yosemite) and I wonder if I make these upgrades in an automatic fashion and centrally managed. Can I use any of the services (Software Update, Caching, Profile Manager) on OSX Server for this purpose? In other words is there any other way to tackle these OS updates automatically without touching each device?

I actually created an image and put it on the network with NetBackup. Now it can be seen by the MBA's and they can be cleanly updated. However teachers have their files on laptops and we don't have time for backups. That is why I cannot use Netbackup/Netinstall because it will delete everything on the HD. So I am trying to upgrade their systems without formatting their HDs.

I would appreciate any ideas.

Thank you.

Ferris

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 16, 2015 9:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2015 10:38 AM

Using just Apple's Server.app software the only option would be to use NetRestore to restore a complete new image to each machine. Depending on what applications you have this may or may not save you enough work.

Another different approach would require first installing some software on each Mac.

The first step would be to get Munki up and running and to enrol each Mac in to it, see https://github.com/munki/munki/wiki

The second step would be to make an Apple installer package which will install OS X 10.10.2 on to a Mac, see https://code.google.com/p/munki/wiki/InstallingOSX

The third step would be to tell Munki to push out the OS X installer to each client Mac

This will result in each Mac being automatically upgraded to OS X 10.10.2 without you have to visit it in person. Munki will also be able to ensure your applications are updated beforehand to the latest presumably Yosemite compatible version. This approach would not involve wiping each Mac which NetRestore would.

I build new Macs using DeployStudio and as part of that process automatically set them up to use Munki. At the moment I am not rolling out Yosemite but when I do I plan to use the above approach to upgrade them rather than wiping them and re-imaging them.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 16, 2015 10:38 AM in response to Ferris_Krypton

Using just Apple's Server.app software the only option would be to use NetRestore to restore a complete new image to each machine. Depending on what applications you have this may or may not save you enough work.

Another different approach would require first installing some software on each Mac.

The first step would be to get Munki up and running and to enrol each Mac in to it, see https://github.com/munki/munki/wiki

The second step would be to make an Apple installer package which will install OS X 10.10.2 on to a Mac, see https://code.google.com/p/munki/wiki/InstallingOSX

The third step would be to tell Munki to push out the OS X installer to each client Mac

This will result in each Mac being automatically upgraded to OS X 10.10.2 without you have to visit it in person. Munki will also be able to ensure your applications are updated beforehand to the latest presumably Yosemite compatible version. This approach would not involve wiping each Mac which NetRestore would.

I build new Macs using DeployStudio and as part of that process automatically set them up to use Munki. At the moment I am not rolling out Yosemite but when I do I plan to use the above approach to upgrade them rather than wiping them and re-imaging them.

Mar 25, 2015 11:08 AM in response to John Lockwood

John,

Thanks for the response! I feel that it is the method I needed and I installed the client and admin software to a couple of systems for testing. So I am good with the first step and figuring out second and third steps as you wrote.

If wiping the laptops was not a problem I was going to use DeployStudio and AutoDMG to create images and push them from server but I guess in my case I need to use Munki.

Anyways lets see how Munki will make it easier.

Mar 25, 2015 12:34 PM in response to Ferris_Krypton

Ferris_Krypton wrote:

Yeah I have been using Apple RD for a long time but I guess you cannot push a new OS through RD right?

If as I suggested you make the Yosemite installer in to an Apple installer pkg as per the link I provided then Apple Remote Desktop lets you push out and install installer packages. However ARD can only do this to Macs that are turned on, Munki can wait for the Mac to be available and push it later. Munki can also wait for the user to logout before running it whereas ARD has to do it there and then. Therefore while yes it can be done via ARD it is overall simpler and more friendly to do it via Munki.

Munki will be useful to you beyond this one of task of upgrading the operating system so getting it running is a worthwhile investment.

Yosemite upgrades with os x server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.