Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

memory module won't eject from 2008 iMac

I have an early 2008 iMac and want to upgrade the memory to 4GB. It now has 1 GB in one slot; the other slot is empty. I tried to eject the existing 1 GB module by pulling the tab to eject it but it wouldn't budge. I pulled the tab straight out and used as much force as I could but it just wouldn't move. Any tips on how to remove it? Also, I'm wondering if I could simply add a 2GB memory module to the empty slot and just go to 3GB memory. Is that doable? I bought 2 2GB modules and wonder if I could use only one of them or do they have to be used in pairs? Any help here would be much appreciated.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8), 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Posted on Mar 16, 2015 9:21 AM

4 replies

Mar 18, 2015 5:27 PM in response to braden85

Thanks for your reply, braden85. Yes, I have already followed the Apple instructions for removing and installing memory. My problem is that the installed memory module on my 2008 imac won't eject when I pull it via the tab, no matter how hard or how long I pull on the tab. Is there something else I should be doing? Also, I wonder if I could simply add 2 GB to the empty slot, thereby eliminating the need to remove the stuck memory. Can an early 2008 imac be configured with 3 GB RAM?

Thank you.

Oct 30, 2015 1:54 PM in response to mlhfb

Braden, I hope you achieved your memory module goals.

Here's how I removed and reinserted memory modules, for an upgrade, for my mid 2010 iMac.

Of course, follow Apple's instructions for disconnecting power, all cabled connections, and laying iMac on a non-static surface to access the bottom Memory Module slots.

- test your Ohm Meter's operation and cables by shorting the test probes/clips to each other, End to end, from the meter's GROUND/COMMON port to it's OHM test port, the meter should display a ZERO(0) result.

- test your static grounding wrist strap with the Ohm Meter. End to end from strap to alligator clip, your Ohm Meter should register a High Resistance. Mine measured almost 1M Ohm.

- attach 'static grounding wrist strap' to your wrist

- attach 'static grounding wrist strap alligator clip' to the, now unplugged, ground peg of your iMac's 3-peg power plug port. This safely sends transient, and undetectable to you, static discharge to that ground peg. Leave the

'static grounding wrist strap' attached to your wrist and the iMac's ground peg throughout all invasive work on your iMac's interior. Only, disconnect the wrist strap's alligator clip after you've reinstalled the Memory Slot cover. It helps to have all your tools and work materials easily within reach before starting this job.

I had the same problem you experienced; the Memory Module Tabs slipped from my fingers when exerting all the force I could grip. The below method, safely, worked for me:

- Observe your current Memory Module position in it's slot; you'll need to know that position to recognize when your new module is properly seated.

- wrap the barrel of a small gauge 'non static' spudger, or another 'non static' small gauge barreled driver around the Module Ejection Strap; be sure to wrap the strap onto itself. Grasp the spudger/driver at each edge of the Module Ejection Strap to keep the strap from slipping. Now you may pull with greater, steady, force while gently shifting that pulling force from end to end of the strap. In other words, I slightly wiggled the module until it ejected.

- grasp each new memory module, only, by the back edge which you'll use to press the module into it's slot. As you might expect, the force required to seat the new module will be much the same as ejecting the last module. It took steady thumb pressure to seat my new modules which did not click on insertion. Instead, I felt each module seat when I could push no further and I could see the new module was in the same position the previous module occupied before removal.

Yes, there are other ways to isolate static discharge. I recommend the 'tested' wrist strap method because each of the proper tools to do this job are available for purchase online.

memory module won't eject from 2008 iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.