Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipad updating to 8.1.2 update failed iPad dead

I was updating my iPad Air to the latest OS (8.1.2) via iTunes (after taking a backup). Everything went well for the allotted 30 minutes it estimated it would take but it bummed out seemingly at that last minute and reported 'error 14'.

My iPad is now at the bootup

screen the grey one with the Apple logo and a progress bar (shoeing approx 30 % complete) - what do I do now?

iPad Air, iOS 8.1

Posted on Mar 16, 2015 9:45 AM

3 replies

Mar 18, 2015 2:18 PM in response to normanfromwaterlooville

Greetings normanfromwaterlooville,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand that while updating your iPad to the most recent version of iOS, the update failed and you received error 14. This error typically has to do with USB connection as described in the attached article.

Get help with iOS update and restore errors - Apple Support

Because your iPad is stuck trying to start up, I would recommend placing it in recovery mode manually and performing the update as described by the steps in the following article. If you continue to have issues, please let me know.

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch doesn't respond or doesn't turn on - Apple Support

When starting up, you might see the Apple logo or a red or blue screen for a long time, or your device might restart again. Try these steps:

1. Make sure that you have iTunes 12 or later on your computer.
  2. Put your device in recovery mode.
  3. When you get the option to restore or update, select Update. This will reinstall iOS without erasing your data.

Cheers,

Joe

Mar 29, 2015 9:09 AM in response to AppleJoe

Thanks Joe
I thought I would just close the loop on this one.

Well things were looking gloomy and frustrating as the 'brick' situation continued.

However after trying different USB ports with no luck on each occassion, I decided it was time to try another Thunderbolt cable and to my amazement I was back in 'control' and more importantly could restore the iPad. Fortunately I always take a backup prior to doing any updates (including this attempt) so nothing lost.

If this problem truly was with the cable - why is it reported at the last stage of the update process - surely could the prog not run a cable test first?

Anyways I have sanitised the 'good' Thunderbolt cable which will now never be used for routine tasks like charging and it is now reserved purely for updating devices.

Once again thanks for your help.

ipad updating to 8.1.2 update failed iPad dead

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.